Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Second opinion] I am a technician had a pep boys in Austin

Customer Question

second opinion] I am a technician had a pep boys in Austin Texas I have been working on a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe with a hard steering problem first we replace the power steering pump and had no resolve then we replace the power steering rack and still no results . So we route warrantee that out the rack then we warrantee it out the power steering pump and now we've tried putting a high-pressure power steering line and while we blew out the return hose to see if there is any type of restriction . still we are having the same result as hard to steer with it feels like there is no assist at all . If anyone else had this type of problem before with this particular vehicle please email me at***@******.***. This problem has left me scratching my head for answers
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I will check how much pressure The power steering pump is putting out as soon as I return back to work at 9 o'clock central standard time. I will then post my results and check to see if there's any other possible test that I need to run. Ty all
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JA....the one thing that I would look at is the reservoir.....there is a screen located at the bottom of the reservoir that gets clogged over time...this will restrict fluid flow and cause problems like you are having. Remove the reservoir and look inside it with a light....see if the screen is clogged.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well the screen was clear. So I'm still scratching my head at this one.
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Can you remove the return line from the reservoir and have a container ready to catch the fluid...have someone start the vehicle and see how much flow you have
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Irie I changed have to return line and still there is limited flow back to the reservoir