Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Second opinion] I am a technician had a pep boys in Austin…

Customer Question
second opinion] I am a...
second opinion] I am a technician had a pep boys in Austin Texas I have been working on a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe with a hard steering problem first we replace the power steering pump and had no resolve then we replace the power steering rack and still no results . So we route warrantee that out the rack then we warrantee it out the power steering pump and now we've tried putting a high-pressure power steering line and while we blew out the return hose to see if there is any type of restriction . still we are having the same result as hard to steer with it feels like there is no assist at all . If anyone else had this type of problem before with this particular vehicle please email me at***@******.***. This problem has left me scratching my head for answers
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check how much pressure The power steering pump is putting out as soon as I return back to work at 9 o'clock central standard time. I will then post my results and check to see if there's any other possible test that I need to run. Ty all
8/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA....the one thing that I would look at is the reservoir.....there is a screen located at the bottom of the reservoir that gets clogged over time...this will restrict fluid flow and cause problems like you are having. Remove the reservoir and look inside it with a light....see if the screen is clogged.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well the screen was clear. So I'm still scratching my head at this one.
Can you remove the return line from the reservoir and have a container ready to catch the fluid...have someone start the vehicle and see how much flow you have
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Irie I changed have to return line and still there is limited flow back to the reservoir