Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Turn key and it won't start but continuously clucks. Then on

Customer Question
the dash an icon of...
Turn key and it won't start but continuously clucks. Then on the dash an icon of the car lights up with another icon over it that's a padlock
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Electric power is on
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Focus 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried pushing the fuel reset button by passenger.door
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Then locking and unlocking car with key.from out side car with key and then starting car
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
8/6/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

It is safe to.assume that my knowledge base regarding auto repair is minimal at best

Sounds like you have a pats system issues which is the immobilizer security function give me just a moment while I get you some check information, in the mean time while I do that have you checked to make sure your battery is ok ?

Phone is charging, lights come on etc
Radio works

have you tried any other keys you have to start it?

My other set is at home. I can take cab there and back if it's the only viable option for rectifying this

oh no, try this

.key out of ignition....put key in and turn on but do not start........look at theft light....should be blinking fast.....wait 30 to 45 seconds or until it starts to blink slow or goes out.......turn the key off and remove it from the ignition.........wait 15 seconds....turn key on.....do not start....look at theft light.....should be blinking slow......normal mode.....when wait to start light goes out it should start normal

It did not blink rapidly. It showed for 2 seconds solid then turned off. Key still turned. Battery icon lit up on dash and has stayed lit while key in ignition

try the procedure and ignore the blinking just do it until the light go out and do it that way

Thats actually what I was doing :) right on. At 45 second wait stage
Put key back in ignition and turned it on but not start. Locked icon stayed on 2 seconds then went out. Battery icon still lit up

cool cool cool we must be connected somehow

ok be right back with more info

Ha. Well, ignition still clicking but no starting

when you say clicking are you talking about a relay click or starter click?

Phone charger still working on cell and interior lights operable. Just put up my window and it was really sloooow
I cannot differentiate between the two
How would I be able to tell the difference between one versus the other?

I think you may have a battery issue on top of the pats problem, it may light everything but you need a full 13.5 to crank that vehicle

starter is def way louder than a relay, almost like a angry electrical gremlin if that makes sense

I have jumper cables, should I ask for a jump or if there's a PATS problem as well, will this not be helpful?
I doesn't sound angry.
Just defiant
It*

window should be operating pretty quick, I would try a jump the lock itsnt flashing, do you have a override security button on that model in the lower left dash?

In the dash?? How would I access it and what might it look like
Please
Well, got out of car and looked under console. I see a few black push buttons thar look appealing

1. Press the unlock button on your vehicle's key fob to deactivate the alarm. If you've misplaced your remote for the car, use the PATS programmed key to unlock the driver's side door. Then, put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. The vehicle's battery should be on, but the engine shouldn't be running.

2.
Locate the override button on the alarm box, beneath the driver's side of the dashboard. Press the button and hold it in until the alarm beeps one time. The LED light for the alarm should stop blinking, indicating the anti-theft system is disabled.

3.
To reset the vehicle's alarm, put the PATS programmed key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. Press the override button. When the alarm resets, it chirps two times and the LED light begins blinking.

Step 4
Before you reset the battery; Press and hold the odometer SELECT/RESET button then turn the key to run. Keep holding the button till test shows in the odometer. Release the button. Press and release the button to scroll through the readings till you see dtc. If the cluster has any codes stored you will see them after the dtc.

ok try that there are a few different procedures for the pats systems

or try this one too

Press the button and hold it in until the alarm beeps one time. The LED light for the alarm should stop blinking, indicating the anti-theft system is disabled. To reset the vehicle's alarm, put the PATS programmed key in the ignition and turn the key to the "on" position. Press the override button.

I cannot locate button. Looking at manual and googlong unsuccessfully
apparently typing isn't either

some do have the button some dont, the next step would be to try your other key, im out of procedures, and if that dosent work you will have to have it towed to a dealership to reprogram the keys, some locksmiths can do it as well but they are just as $$$$

Can u tell me what.the button I'm looking for may look like???

its a black button or red clear blinking button

like I said they are pretty obvious if you dont see it its not there. I would see if you can get that battery checked too. you can bring it to the auto parts store and they will test it for free

Ok..no button..
So I'll go grab keys and when I get back to car I just use them like normal? ??

yeah thats your only hope is the pats sees that key as a normal key and resets the system, if no go, you can try those procedures again. let me now how you make out, ill be around tomorrow

Thank you for trying to help me deal with this. Called cab.

yeah no prob! hope it works out later!

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician