Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2008 E350 van - yesterday the warning lights started going…

Customer Question
2008 E350 van -...

2008 E350 van - yesterday the warning lights started going on - the radio and lights dimmed while the engine was running and windows were slow to raise. Once I shut off the engine full electrical power was restored. now today I purchased an alternator to install and after jumping the engine it looks normal and restarts OK - is it actually the alternator?

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The stability assist - ASC I believe its called - the dash lights dimmed, and the radio acted like ti was very low on power and the engine ran rough at idle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes was going to install the alternator myself - have done it on our Chevy S10 - never on the e350 - it felt like the alternator, does it sound like that to you?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope just need verification before I start.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
8/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 8 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** have been a dealer tech for 20 years. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

DId the battery light ever come on, on the instrument cluster?

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 5 stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent FACTORY DEALER auto mechanic and also work for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say "I'm satisfied".

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

no

Ok. I does sounds like an issue with the alternator or the battery itself. Sometimes if a cell is going bad in the battery it will act as you describe. If you are going to put the alternator on the I would replace the battery as well. Or you can first have the battery checked somewhere, where they can load test it and check for a bad cell.

CLICK HERE for rating system example.

Please read this:

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Thank you for viewing my previous response. Please let me know if you have made progress or need more info. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

Please also note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for rating system example.

Please read this: Understand it's not one response and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

3. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to ask follow up questions.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician