Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a trouble code p1289 for my 02 mustang 3.8l. P1289…

Customer Question
I have a trouble...

I have a trouble code p1289 for my 02 mustang 3.8l

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P1289 and yes i reset it and it returns

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Mustang yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes myself and i have not tried much

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
8/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

the code is for the cylinder head temperature sensor. Have you had or having any overheating or coolant loss problems?

the CHT sensor is known to go bad and also the connector goes bad if you are not having any overheating problems.

my engine does not overheat and i tried another sensor with same results, maybe my other sensor was faulty but im attempting to check the connector and wiring. the engine is a 2002 3.8l with manual trans i installed into a 2000 mustang previously v6 auto trans along with my 2002 engine harness pcm dash column cluster everything as another note and mabye related my oil pressure gauge doesnt work either but im not currently concerned with it both these worked in the 2002 car but now they dont in the new car

The two different years have different type coolant and oil sensors and your instrument cluster will flag problems due to not able to calculate the different sensors and sees them as having problems. There is not much you can do for this problem unless you put the exact same engine with same year sensors in the vehicle.

the engine all sensors and pcm and instrument cluster are all from the same car

Try to disconnect the CHT and see if you start engine and get a different code?

i still get the same code to verify i unpluged erase the code and restarted engine and got the same 1289 ....
then i checked voltage of the connector one pin is 12v the other pin is roughly 6v which seems high to me for a temp sensor

i will have to opt out due to I have no additional information on this issue and will let another expert help you. Please do not respond to this until another expert contacts you or it will lock question to me. Thanks.

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Would you like me to help?

i swapped my 2002 mustang 3.8l with 5 speed t45 tans and pcm as well as engine bay harness and dash, column, instrument cluster, srs module and everything worked in the 2002 car but i put it in my 2000 mustang previously 3.8 auto and now i have a p1289 code and temp gauge doesnt work, ive tried another sensor and same results so i have a new one on the way but i believe it may be wiring issues and ive studied the diagrams well and cnt figure it out also on the two pin connector with sensor unhooked one side is 12v the other is 6v then when measureing resistance of the wires with sensor unhooked i get 960phms and with sensor hooked up i get about 20ohms this is with a cold engine also coolant is full and air bled properly

What year PCM is in the car now?

What year engine is in the car now?

What year wire harness is in the car now?

all 2002 v6

Can you get started on these tests and let me know the outcome or if you get stuck?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oov0wi0m4pxfh8i/1289.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

will try this tomorrow at work thank you, ***** ***** something similar to this but it was slightly diffrent inacurate and didnt make sense so hopefully this helps

Keep in touch as needed

it turns out the scanners i have access to cannot display the PIDs of the sensors. is there a way to test this with a multimeter? also i just got my new sensor straight from ford and installed it as ford directed who also said is probably the cause of my issue and i still have the same returning code and no temp gauge. ive been going over all the wiring and the only thing i can think of is maybe 2000 and 2002 ecm plugs are pinned diffrently? but im having problems finding the pinnouts for the 2000 i belive i have the 2002 pinouts here somewhere. its just wierd becaus eits only one sensor but so many things are linked together anymore who knows it could be anything.

So you need a PCM pin chart for the 2000 and 2002 correct?

You need the test for the coolant temp sensor, correct?

i actually found the pinouts and there is no diffrence and i need to test the wiring for the cylinder head temp sensor ive tried 3 sensors one new from ford you gave me directions to test but requires a scanner that can display PID which i dont have
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician