Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a ford 2002 taurus. brake fluid is dripping from a y

Customer Question
shaped tube mounted to the...
I have a ford 2002 taurus. brake fluid is dripping from a y shaped tube mounted to the firewall on to the cataylic converter. The y tube is made of steel but has 2 rubber hoses curving into fire wall.I dont understand y brake fluid would be going throu rubber hoses to passanger side of car? So helpme to understand how to fix leak. Thank you.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Ford
8/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

ok

Can you take a picture of these leaking lines and post it here so I can have a look? There are no rubber brake lines on your 2002 Taurus.

Top of pic

Do these line run up to the master cylinder?

at the top of picture see the black tube shaped like a "Y". Bottom part is deformed. the Y changes to rubber and goes into firewall. then 1 part the stem goes toward driver side and i cant see it. it goes towards master cylnder but dosent seem to connect to it. could it be going to some brake booster or something?
whats behind that felt black material? in pics

If you sure they are rubber then they are not brake lines. There are no brake lines running in the inside of the firewall as well. The black felt is just a sound damper.

let me feel with my fingers brb

Make sure it break fluid and check and see if you are loosing fluid from the master as well.

it feels like stem is going to plastic housing the master is connected to. and ive been running car and the tube is very hot like maybe something to do with heater core? i have car running to see is fluid is just running down tube then dripping on cataylitic converter

The master cylinder connects to the break booster. Are you loosing break fluid?

master and steel lines are dry

Check the bottom side of the master cylinder where it bolts to the Booster, if its leaking there is is likely just dripping down on the hose. Its common for the master cylinder to leak from the rear and run into the booster.

All is dry but no leaking right now I test drive and check when I get back
Yesterday was leaking bad and car was not running??? I fill brake reservoir and test

If you sure its not any of the steel lines then you may want to pop the master loose from the booster and see if the back side is wet, it should be nice and dry if its not leaking. Test it and let me know.

To get it leaking again
Ok

Im here if needed.

I don't know no leaks drove 30 miles in traffic brake fluid still full booster and master dry so is carpet in cabin. Do u think I should go ahead and replace master?
How flammable is brake fluid?
It's was smoking when dripping on converter

Brake fluid is not flammable at all. It actually water soluble.

Should I go ahead and replace master?
I don't know anything about booster could it be bad and leaking brake fluid?
Or is it just full of air?

I would pull it back off the booster and see if its wet, if it leaking it will be wet. If its not leaking it will be nice and dry. The booster dose not hold the brake fluid. Its only in the Master cylinder.

Ok I'll get to work

Okay Im here if needed. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician