Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a new 2017 6.7l F350. One week old, LOW FUEL LEVEL

Customer Question
Have a new 2017 6.7l...
Have a new 2017 6.7l F350. One week old, LOW FUEL LEVEL warning comes on everytime it is started, fuel tank shows no level, DTE is blank. Average MPG seems to read accurately. Tank is full. Dealer says there is a short between the sending unit and the fuel lever sensor but sending unit output is 2.4V. I don't believe the theory of a short. Dealer has had the truck all day, says he needs more time.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Are you planning to diagnose and fix this yourself and not let Ford do it under warranty?

It's under warranty (700 miles on truck, two weeks old). I am leaving on a cross country trip in this truck on Monday. No choice but to go. The problem occurred on Monday this week. Tank is nearly full, but LOW FUEL warning is on, tank gauge has no reading, and DTE is "---". MPG display seems to be operating normally. Dealer had the truck on Wednesday afternoon, said he couldn't start on it unless I left if with him for Thursday. Couldn't do that because the aux fuel tank was getting installed Thursday. Aux fuel tank tech measured output of tank sending unit at 2.4V. He said that is pretty close to the normal "tank empty" reading. Took it back to dealer Thursday afternoon. One dealer tech tried to diagnose and came up with a short between the sending unit and the sensor that monitors the fuel level. At the end of today, dealer said he can't do anything without more time. Dealer doesn't work on Saturday.

Thanks for the run down. What information are you needing from me. I assume you are not planning to diagnose and repair this yourself since that would be a free repair done by the dealer.

I guess I was looking for your take on this. I would repair this myself if I had a schematic of the truck.

Below are the links to the wire diagrams and the steps to diagnose this to see if the sending unit, wiring, or cluster is to blame.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o9gkgrkb6yrfnow/17fuel.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2un1oip4qcr4ljn/17fueltest.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris