Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Changed thermostat in 1996 ford 6 24 valve engine and it

still over heats there is...
changed thermostat in 1996 ford 6 24 valve engine and it still over heats there is no water in the oil or oil in the water
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: water is ok thermostat is new
JA: What is the model of your '96 Ford?
Customer: mercury sable
JA: Are you fixing your Sable yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not me it is at midas
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: they will do further tests after the long week end but they are talking about head gasket problem which seems unlikely I am thinking water pump or clogged radiator because despite over heating there is no HEAT
8/5/2017
tims auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

sense you have worked on the cooling system,,you may now have air in the system.

bleed the system this way

1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold

2-start the engine and let idle

3-turn the heater on max

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed

5-spme coolant may gush out with the air

6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot

7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the cap

This may take as long as 20-30 minutes

if it still overheats after doing this. and if the engine has ever been really hot,i also think the problem may be the head gaskets or maybe even a cracked head..

you dont have to have coolant in the oil to have a bad head gasket..sometimes the head gasket will leak enough compression into the cooling system to equalize the pressure that the water pump and heat makes.thus it stops the coolant from moving though the system causing it to get hot

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

tims auto repair
tims auto repair
tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic