Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

1994 ranger 2.3 5 spd. - had a fire in the engine bay caused

Customer Question

1994 ranger 2.3 5 spd. - had a fire in the engine bay caused as far as we can tell around the ignition control module. Replaced module and had to replace the wiring harness on the top of motor. Everything is installed , now motor won't start, we did replace the ckp as well. Upon testing it all the ckp is showing the 12 volts but is not showing the on/off signal that it should. We replaced it again , 2econd sensor and still no signal .. only showing a constant battery voltage on the blue signal wire. We have checked for good ground among other things and all show to be good. But still only a constant battery voltage on the blue wire.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

Are you getting 12 volts on the dark blue wire at connector of the crankshaft sensor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

If you disconnect the large connector at the main computer and see if you still get 12 volts at cranks sensor connector to see if there is a short in the harness or if now have 0 volts at connector then it is a short internally in computer. This wire should have 0 volts at all times since sensor is a voltage generator and needs no reference voltage at connector.

I just thought about you have changed engine harness. Are you sure the harness is exact match for your harness that came off? The pins in computer may change from year to year. The two crank sensor wires should be pins 21 for grey and 22 for blue wires on the computer connector.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me check give me a few minutes I have to plug everything back up

Here is wire diagram so you can match up harness to correct pins on computer to make sure you have correct harness.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArGz65GfcqjYoldWHHIZx_0f61_D

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
unplug puter and chk voltage at the sensor correct ?

Yes. With key on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok one min

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok puter unhooked , key on, and yes we have bat voltage on blue wire

What is the other color wire in the connector to the crank sensor?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There's 5 in all , one ground, black with an orange stripe one is red with a green stripe one solid blue and one Grey

The crankshaft sensor has 5 wires in it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well 4 plus the ground
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This may possibly be a California truck

I found the correct wiring for the truck. Forget about the one i sent you. It is for a 1995. After checking the diagram i find you have the 1994 harness. Here is correct wire diagram.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArGz65GfcqjYolib7OZUV13zwuL-

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's a 94
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would the vin help any ?

I need to opt out of the questions. I will open this up to other experts. Please do not respond or questions will lock to me. Wait until another expert responds to you.