Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

I have a 2007 Ford Focus 2.0L. Does this vehicle have an

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2007 Ford Focus 2.0L. Does this vehicle have an idle relearn or throttle body calibration? and what is it?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 68717, 2.0L
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, well the vehicle has had high idle for sometime. We found a vacuum leak at the IMRC runner, and replaced the intake manifold. No more leaks
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: High idle symptom still there. We replaced the idle air control valve with a ford factory part
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Vehicle still has a high idle after installation of a ford idle air control valve. The car is at operating temperature right now, and will idle normally, but as soon as we start driving the RPMs will climb and climb almost like the throttle is increasing itself.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is Jay

Once you have fixed all the vacuum leaks and replaced the idle control valve you should disconnect the battery and then relearn the idle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the relearn procedure?

To relearn idle you will first let engine idle in park with all accessories off for two minutes. Then turn on a/c with blower on medium and let idle two minutes. Then turn off a/c and put in drive for two minutes and while still in drive turn on a/c for two minutes. Road test vehicle accelerate to 45 and let coast until 25 mph. Do this twice and then bring to idle an stay in gear and let idle for two minutes to see if idle has stabilized? If still does not stabilize then you may need to drive normal driving for a couple days to see if it stabilizes? If still a problem then you will need to locate vacuum leak and scan for codes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Must we have a cold vehicle, or is it ok to start this procedure with our vehicle already at operating temperature?

Warm engine before doing the relearn by idling longer until up to operating temperature.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
While conducting the relearn procedure we found that the engine would throw a pending P0507 code, and then it would clear itself, and throw the code again, so on and so on. Codes does not mature to a check engine light. To confirm, this vehicle has been smoke tested while code, and there are no leaks visible (from up top looking down, and from underneath looking up).
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Typo's fixed version of my last message: While conducting the relearn procedure we found that the engine would throw a pending P0507 code, and then it would clear itself, and throw the code again, so on and so on. Code does not mature to a check engine light. To confirm, this vehicle has been smoke tested while cold, and there are no leaks visible (from up top looking down, and from underneath looking up).
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The vehicle idles in park at 1100 RPM after cold startup (it initially raises to 1800, but settles at 1100 after a few seconds), and in drive comes down to 850 RPM. If I shut the car off after being warmed, and then turn the vehicle back on the car will idle in park at 780ish, but seems to go back to 1070 in park after the vehicle is driven for a bit.

Here is pinpoint test for code P0507 that needs to be tested to isolate the vacuum leak or other problem. Pinch off brake booster hose to see if idles down?

https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArGz65GfcqjYomBvzDu9qDUFWMqu

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
KE15: No Leaks (smoked for visual, propaned, and listened)
KE16: No EVAP codes
KE 17: No visible throttle body damage. Idle air control valve was already replaced by us with factory part (question: does it matter if this valve is installed while hot or cold?) Erased KAM & DTC's, drove for 2 minutes with A/C off to allow PCM to properly learn values for driveabiliy and performance. (Please see below for PID info after KAM/DTCs erased)PIDS after clear, but before driving...
Start up (vehicle already at operating temperature),
RPM = 932 | Desired RPM PID: 688
IAC% = 10 | TP(V) = .96I drive the vehicle for the 2 minutes, no performance issues under load.I return, and completely let my foot off the throttle without touching the brake (after 30 seconds of coasting and the speedometer showing 0mph this is what I get.)
RPM = 1288 | Desired RPM PID: 640
IAC% = 29 | TP(V) = .95
L/SFTRIMs = 0I apply a bit of pressure to the brake, and release - I get the following PIDs
RPM = 1286 | Desired RPM PID: 640
IAC% = 10 | TP(V) = .96
L/SFTRIMs = 0I apply enough brake, and stop completely, and this is what i get
RPM = 840 | Desired RPM PID: 640
IAC% = 10 | TP(V) = .96
L/SFTRIMs = 0Does any of this data stand out as abnormal?We will complete the rest of the flowchart on Monday.

Yes. When you are pressing on brake the IAC is at 10% and normal is about 12 to 15%. This still indicates a vacuum leak somewhere. Have you tried to pinch off the vacuum line to the brake booster to see if IAC % changes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Couple additional notes: the P0507 code did not present itself during these tests. In fact, after we collected this PID data, we conducted the KOER test with our scan tool, and P0505 is now pending.We pinched the brake booster hose, and the idle did not drop.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
First time receiving the P0505 code (after clearing KAM), we used to get the P0507 code when we did the KOER test or drove it.

I rechecked the IAC % at hot idle should be closer to 32%. If you are getting 10% at idle then computer is trying to being the idle down. Does the throttle body have a throttle stop screw? What does TPS say at closed throttle?

TPS should be .8 at closed throttle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The stop screw appears to have never been tampered (glue appears intact and threads do not have any pliers marks or abnormal discoloration from top to bottom). TPS at closed bounces back and forth at .95/.96 at any given time, never goes lower.

You may need to lower it to .8 to see if it helps. If not then turn it back to up if it sticks. The lower throttle angle may fix your problem if you do not have any vacuum leaks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, so attempt to adjust the stop screw?Couple other PIDs as I was reviewing screenshots:
At idle in Park = Shows in 3rd gear
Absolute Throttle Position (at idle) = 18%
Relative Throttle Position (at idle) - 0%

Why is it showing you are in third gear? What is the rpms doing?

is it idling lower now?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In park, pid shows 3rd gear. Whem i shift it to 1st it shows 1st, 2nd shows 2nd, drive shows 1st, and park shows 3rd.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Idle is high in park (pid shows 3rd gear).
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For reference, i have not attempted adjusting throttle position yet
Why is it showing 3 Rd gear
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That was on the generic side of the scanner, ill have to check manufacturer side on Monday. Using a snap on verus pro.

Ok. Talk to you on Monday.