Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2004 FORD F150 5.4L, Truck appears to run good until engine…

Customer Question
2004 FORD F150 5.4L...

2004 FORD F150 5.4L, Truck appears to run good until engine reaches operating temp. once temperature is reached, very poor performance under load. idles good, no codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

125000, just replaced the water pump and cam phasres and 1 vct solenoid.(sticking) it did have timing issues and cam phasers were broken inside

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. truck belongs to family and was showing timing codes. after disassembling the front of the motor and replacing the phasers. reinstalled all components and replaced the water pump. during the initial test drive everything appeared great. refilled water reservoir and after warm up the motor looses power.. will idle great but under load fails badly. let it sit until cool and rund great again until its warm.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
8/4/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 11 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

May I start by getting the stored codes in the computer?

Thank you!

There are none. no codes exist. I have driven the truck about 5-10 miles trying to create a code.. nothing

Thank you for that information.

Have you checked the fuel pressure when this happens?

I am not with the car at this time, but the fuel pressure appears to be good. again the truck runs fine when cold. you notice the loss of power when the engine reaches normal operating temp. 195f

Thank you for that information.

You would have no way of knowing if the fuel pressure is good or not if you have not checked the fuel pressure or reading.

YES, it is possible that the fuel pressure is low when this happens due to a weak fuel pump or faulty fuel pump driver module.

YES, it is possible that it happens intermittently. (when warm)

on my break I will document cold fuel pressure and warm fuel pressure.talk soon.
Ed

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with my family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

FRP IS @ 39.74 even when accelerating. However, looking on the internet there are posts about pcm's using a failsafe mode.
I mention this because during my initial test drive the temperature gage went to extreme hot a number of times. motor did not appear to be hot. each time it occurred I shut the motor off and restarted. I thought that maybe there was an air bubble in the system after refilling the engine with coolant. there are no codes present, but there was a code for the temperature sensor before I cleared it.
any thoughts?

If there are no codes stored in the computer, it is not in failsafe mode.

I would drive it around after clearing the code in the computer and see if it comes back again.