Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Runs really rough and top speed of 45. No power. Have

Customer Question
Runs really rough and...

Runs really rough and top speed of 45. No power. Have changed one of the coil packs and the wires and plugs. Same result only now when I start the engine and give it gas the motor shuts off like I turned off the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent. Every now and then it runs just fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1991 2.3l ford ranger

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have changed the pugs and wires and changed one coil pack

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/4/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

There are a few things that can cause this type of running issue.

I would start by unplugging the mass air flow sensor, then start the truck and see if it runs any better. If it does, then replace the mass air flow sensor.

If not, I would then check it for a blocked or plugged catalytic converter. Try removing the front O2 sensor BEFORE the converter and then see if it has more power, if it does, then the converter is likely blocking the exhaust.

Finally, check the timing belt. If the belt has jumped time a few degrees it could give you this problem.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!