Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 99 ford ranger and the ac clutch will not engage…

Customer Question
I have a 99...

I have a 99 ford ranger and the ac clutch will not engage unless I jump it at the relay location. I replaced the relay and charged it with freon, but it still will not engage the clutch unless I jump it??

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

188000. I just bought the truck and restored it. I has not been slipping or sticking.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I replaced the relay, the clutch fuse and charged the system with freon

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
8/4/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 11 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Disconnect the low pressure switch on the accumulator and jump the two wires in connector to see if compressor comes on?

Did you try jumping the low pressure switch?

My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"