Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Installing shocks on my 2015 Ford Flex Top Bolt seems to…

Customer Question
Installing shocks on my 2015...
Installing shocks on my 2015 Ford Flex Top Bolt seems to just spin cant get any torque on it, whats the solution. I do not have an assistant. I don't want to damage new shock.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
8/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Front or rear?

Rear

Did you set vehicle down so weight of car is pushing shock up into place?

not sure if I tried torque wrench after I loaded shock.
Do you think that would be enough to allow me to torque the bolt

Probably, try it and let me know. Thanks.

will do

Thanks, ***** ***** updated.

Not getting any torque on it. I assume its spinning. not able to get a box or open end on it due to space constraints only a deep well socket.
I tried a stubby ratchet but no leverage, wont turn at all

I'll open question back up to see if someone else has some suggestions.

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 6 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Would you like me to help?

Sorry for the delay in responding, I had to go to work and I am going to have to go again shortly but I would appreciate any help you can give me. I have a 2015 Ford Flex std v6. I have installed new shocks and I am having difficulties getting the top bolt to torque. I used my impact wrench to tighten it and it seems fairly tight. When I go to torque the nut it just turns. I have tried it with the shock loaded. The access doesn't allow me room for a standard 18mm wrench, I have tried a stubby ratchet wrench but I dont get enough leverage to be able to turn the wrench. My only solution is a deepwell socket but then theirs no way to hold the shock rod. Have any ideas or tricks up your sleeve?

How much torque is on the nut so far? It only need 41 lb-ft.

Once thing you can do is get a piece of sandpaper and fold it so both sides are sand out. Cut it into a round circle about 2 inch diameter with a hole in the center. Place that over the stud between the body and shock on the underside. This wll help prevent the shock from spinning while torquing.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician