Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Broken battery restraining bolt on an 2007 ford explorer,

Customer Question
Broken battery restraining bolt...

Broken battery restraining bolt on an 2007 ford explorer

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

The bolt is snapped off at an angle

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Are you able to get the battery out of the battery tray to get access to the broken bolt?

No
The bolt is the one preventing removal of battery

You will need to cut the head off of the bolt so you can get battery out so you can get vice grips on bolt to get it out or cut it even with surface and drill and tap the hole for a new bolt.

Ok how do I do that and what do I need to cut the bolt

I would use a die grinder like a dremel with a small metal cutting blade.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Any non power tool options I only have a limited tool set with me

A metal hacksaw blade will do it also with some extra work.

You can even bend the blade to get in there better and wrap the part where you put your hand with duct tape.

Is there any way to get the battery out with out removing the bolt

Not without breaking the hold down if it is the plastic type or bending it if it is the metal type.

I don't mind breaking the bolt won't come out any other way
No unless vice grips will lossen bolt or turn it until it breaks bolt
Ok I don't think there is a solution to my problem that I can do

i am sorry i cannot be of more help since this will require some work and tools to get out.

My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"

Jaybird61
Jaybird61