kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

75 PSI fuel pressure on a 2001 f150 with a 4.6, 150K and

Customer Question

75 PSI fuel pressure on a 2001 f150 with a 4.6
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 150K and serviced recently
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: engine runs smooth, no missing but it's a bit sluggish from the start. I replaced the fuel press regulator a few months back - took codes off it yesterday - PO401, PO172 & PO174
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

The first thing you need to do is check the dpfe and the two hoses that run from it to the exhaust pipe for clogs, broken hoses or a bad dpfe. I have seen the vacuum port for the egr valve on the throttle body clog up as well. If all of this is clean and looks good, check the egr valve itself. It may be hung open and not sealing off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This will cause the 75psi fuel pressure?

For this problem, check for a vacuum leak to the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel rail. You should have a good vacuum on this line with the engine running at idle. If the vacuum ports are stopped up from the egr valve, then yes they are connected.