Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Have a 2007 Mustang GT convertible. "Check charging system"

Customer Question
Have a 2007 Mustang GT...
Have a 2007 Mustang GT convertible. "Check charging system" and battery idiot light keeps coming on. New alternator, battery and alternator wiring harness. Added a new ground wire from the battery to the engine block alternator bracket (grounding directly to the block) in addition to the skimpy frame ground wire from the battery to the strut/ shock tower frame. Still getting lights. Tests 13.2 volts engine off from the positive terminal to both grounds and 14.3 volts with the engine running. Hummmmm. I give up whats wrong?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
8/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

When you got 13-15 volts running, was the warning on at that time?

Any charging system related codes stored?

What brand alternator?

-yes, car was running. light will eventually go off but come back on randomly.
-Have not had it analyzed.
What brand alternator?
-Car Quest reman of Motorcraft. Also tested the original Motorcraft alternator and it did test good but decided to change anyway in case of a intermittent diode.

Thanks, ***** ***** do the steps in this link to check the wiring and PCM. https://www.dropbox.com/s/sehw3jmbpr2lb8t/testC.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I have completed C1 through C3. Need to get a VCM (Vehicle Communication Modual) tester for C4. I do not know how to do C5 through C12. The info you sent is helpful but there are a lot of abbreviations and codes I do not understand. I know PCM is the Powertrain Control Module and the DTC is Diagnostic Trouble Codes. I think the generator C102B is the alternator but I don't know what the "circuit 2037 (RD)" is. Is that the wiring harness that I replaced from the alternator to the battery? I do not know what PID GENFIL, PID VPWR or GENVDSD is nor how to "monitor" them. I also do not know where the PCM C175B-37 circuit 1769 (BN/PK) is amount others. In fact it is difficult to reference any circuit without diagrams. Can you send more information. I am trying to acquire a VCM now.

Ford does call an alternator a generator.

Connector C102B is on the alternator. In that connector is a RD red wire. That wires circuit number is ***** all wires have a circuit number.

PIDS are things you can monitor. For example when monitoring PCM PID CMP that is cam position sensor. You are monitoring the signal from the cam sensor.

GENFIL generator fault indicator light

GENVDSD generator voltage desired

VPWR voltage power

The PCM is behind the passenger headlight. Here is a connector view of PCM https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rw4hu44p084rpi/175B.pdf?dl=0

Here is a charging system wire diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d1rufbqe1g4urx/07charge.pdf?dl=0

Ford does call an alternator a generator? Wow confusing, I had always assumed the two were technically different. Should have a VCM tomorrow AM. I think you sent the 4.0L wiring diagram, I assume that this is the same as the 5.0L. To MONITOR PID GENFIL and VPWR (C5 and C6) I assume the VCM will do that, correct?
Also some of the procedures require you to do things that look to me are normal operations. Why would you change stuff that is working normally?
For example
C5 says MONITOR PID GENFIL With the engine running, monitor PID GENFIL. Does PID GENFIL show fault? If Yes GO to C6 (I understand that) if No REPAIR/INSTALL a new IC, IC-to-PCM connection or the PCM. TEST the system for normal operation.
If No Repair/Install a new IC, IC to PCM connection or the PCM???? Isn't this a normal situation? Why would you do these things if there were no fault?
BTW- what is an IC?
Also isn't circuit C175B inside the alternator? On the diagram it shows it being connecting the Regulator to the Generator. And if so how do you jumper it? I do not see C175B-37 circuit 1769 (BN/PK) on the diagram.
Just got the scanner. The only code was a p1000 which I get everytime I disconnect the battery. No other codes were found. We did reset all codes. Now we will see if the "Check charging system" comes back on. It came on once this morning but, so far, has not come back on. However the light usually comes on about 5 minutes after you start the car in the morning then it is intermittent (or at least I don't see a pattern) after that. Cross you fingers. Maybe clearing the computer did the trick but I doubt it.

Yes the Ford diagnostic tool will will monitor those pids.

C5 the question is Does PID GENFIL show fault? Yes or no. I believe you are reading the question wrong. This test is the computer testing its ability to control the battery light.

IC is instrument cluster.

Here is the correct wire diagram. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dktzidb15jikqu5/4.6wire.pdf?dl=0

175B is the connector on the PCM Test C8 is a picture of the PCM connector not the alternator.

Thanks that diagram makes more sense. Surprise the light came back on this morning about 5 minutes after I started the engine. So much for clearing the codes. Now on to the trouble shooting instructions.
First C4 CHECK THE DTCs IN THE PCM- Done, no codes except for the ever present P1000 when I disconnect the battery. So, according to the instructions, go to C5.C5 Does PID GENFIL show fault?
Yes GO to C6.
No REPAIR/INSTALL a new IC, IC-to-PCM connection or the PCM. TEST the system for normal operation.First, you said PID is something you monitor. Do you monitor it with a VCM?
Second, it seems to me that installing a new IC, IC-to-PCM connection or the PCM if there is no fault is not really finding the problem. It is replacing parts until the problem goes away. Its like saying if there is no fault code just go buy a new car, that should cure your problem.Lets do this, let me test the voltages and report back to you for any ideas before we start replacing everything. The light is not on right now but hopefully will be sooner or later. I will then run the test outlined in C8 thru C10.

Pids are monitored with a scan tool like the VCM/IDS

Ford Mechanic: ,  replied 11 months ago
Phone call session started