roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

F250 1986 4x4 with the big block 460, not doing myself but

Customer Question

F250 1986 4x4 with the big block 460
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not doing myself but took to 5 mechanics none can figure it out drives fine when first started up, very strong when cold
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: then after it warms up, even driving slowly, after about 10-20 mins, it will die no matter what. You try to give it throttle it will just die.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the carb was rebuilt. It ran fine before the carb was rebuilt i've replaced both fuel pumps and fuel filters in the tanks both tanks and the entire ignition system and all modules
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

I am confused

carb models have 1 fuel pump on the motor. you said both pumps???

is this fuel injected???

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it's carb'd
dual tanks
1 pump in each tank
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
do you work on ancient carb'd trucks?
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

yes I have

when it dies, do you have fuel in the carb???

has anyone checked the pressure???

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how can I tell if there is fuel in the carb when it dies? How could I drive down the road and check the pressure at the same time? As soon as I stop for a minute or two usually i can restart it.
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

you could look into the carb after it stall and hit the pedal a couple of times and see if the accelarator pump sends fuel into the engine

as far as the pressure. you can T the pressure gauge into the fuel line and monitor it running while driving

Roy