Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Can not shift out of park. Have to use a key and insert it…

Customer Question
Can not shift out...

Can not shift out of park. Have to use a key and insert it into the lock and press down and shift

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Yes have brake lights and no code for it

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2005 Ford escape 6 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are fixing it ourselves. Trying to find the correct name of the parts we need has been very difficult

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is the only problem we are having

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
8/3/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 11 months ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Most likely it is a faulty shift lock on the shifter assembly which is not sold separate. A new shifter is the only way to get the shift lock. Below are the diag steps if you would like to perform them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6so9l03ul6pbw3c/shift1.pdf?dl=0

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris