davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

My truck runs fine till it warms up then it runs rough and

Customer Question

My truck runs fine till it warms up then it runs rough and is losing power when you accelerate. We have changed the oil in it and it runs fine for about three days then starts running rough again. My check engine light is on. But goes off after the oil change then comes back on when it starts to run rough again
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JA...before we begin I need to know the year and model of your vehicle please.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2002 Ford F-150 with the 5.4 v8 titan engine
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Ok..... The best way to approach this is to have the system scans for trouble codes... You can go to Pep Boys or AutoZone or Advanced Auto... These stores will scan the system for free and then you can tell me which code or codes are stored in the memory of the vehicle so that I can better assist you in repairing it... Can you possibly go to one of these stores and have the system scan and then tell me what code you have just don't let them sell you anything when you go there just have the system scanned and let me know what codes are there.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok heading to o'reilys to have them scan it and I will send you the codes in about 20 minutes
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They said it was cylinders 2, 4, and 6.
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Missfire on cylinders 2,4,6.... Okay when was the last time you changed your spark plugs? And how many miles do you have on your vehicle?
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Was the check engine light ever flashing or was it on steady?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both and we bought the truck 12 months ago. It has 215k miles
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both flashing and steady engine lights.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But earlier this evening my engine caught fire totaling out my truck so I guess it's not worth fixing. It happened on my way back from orielys
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Ok