Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Power steering assist fault, No I don't even know how to…

Customer Question
Power steering assist fault ...

Power steering assist fault

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

No I don't even know how to check for the power steering fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2010 ford fusion 4 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fusion yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't i tried to turn it off and on hoping that would work

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Am I able to fix this so I can get home

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 9 months ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Is the steering wheel hard to turn when the engine is running?

I'm not near the car right now. Had to leave it at work. Is there any way to fix it or you I can get a hold of someone tomorrow to help me walk through it

Your 2010 Fusion has what we call Electronic Power Steering Assist (EPAS). Basically the power steering is driven by an electrical motor to assist with steering the vehicle. There is no reset for this problem you are having. The EPAS system has a module on the power steering rack and pinion that has detected a fault in the system and when this happens, there is no power steering assist and you have manual steering which is basically hard to turn the steering wheel. Most of the time the problem is caused by a problem in the power steering rack and pinion which requires the power steering rack and pinion (EPAS) to have to be replaced. But before you have anything replaced, you should have the system properly tested to isolate the exact cause.

A. Penland
A. Penland