Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2003 ford escape with 3.0 liter v6 has a rough idle, runs…

Customer Question
My 2003 ford escape...

My 2003 ford escape with 3.0 liter v6 has a rough idle, runs hot and has excessive exhaust flow through egr, but only when both vacuum lines are connected to the egr. There are no fault codes stores. I have replaced the egr, egr solenoid, pcv and several vacuum lines with no change.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

Consistent and if engine is run for very long it begins to over heat

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i'm fixing it myself. i've replaced the egr, egr solenoid, sensor and several vacuum lines as well as pcv. also catalytic converters are new. no fault codes recorded

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes the fuel pump has been changed due to noisy running

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

have you verified the egr is closed???

also, how old are the cats???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all 3 cats and egr are new. have not verified egr is closed/closing but i did confirm it functions with vacuum

are there any codes???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in addition to replacing vacuum lines i changed the pcv and did a tune up which included replacing cop's and plugs. the car runs great by removing one vacuum line from the egr, but by doing that it causes a check engine light.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no codes

remove the line to the egr from the cats and see if it is any better

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy, i won't be able to do that for awhile. What should i do if it does improve? I expect it will improve because that is the exhaust feed into the egr and the car runs better when vacuum line is disconnected from egr which prevents exhaust gasses from going into the intake. With either vacuum line removed from egr the car runs great.

try it and see. if it is there is a restriction in the exhaust

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roy there is no restriction in the exhaust. all 3 cats are brand new. the exhaust has been removed and reinstalled. there is excellent flow
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this problem really has me baffled. i changed the cats because it acts like a restriction issue, but again the car runs great with a vacuum line disconnected from the egr. i'm starting to think it's the pcm telling the egr to open too much

check the egr solenoid

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i listed all the items i replaed in my first post. the egr solenoid and sensor were replaced

just because it was replaced does not mean it is not sending the wrong signal. does it have power?? when it is grounded it sends vacuum.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i guess i could have a bad solenoid out of the box, but it's doing the same thing it was with the old part installed. it has power. I found a diagnostic check on line. I will run the voltage checks tomorrow. if it's passing the diagnostic voltage checks but is sending the wrong signal, what would cause that?

not talking about a bad part. I am talking about voltage control

also, do you have a scan tool that can read live data