Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2003 ford escape with 3.0 liter v6 has a rough idle, runs

Customer Question

My 2003 ford escape with 3.0 liter v6 has a rough idle, runs hot and has excessive exhaust flow through egr, but only when both vacuum lines are connected to the egr. There are no fault codes stores. I have replaced the egr, egr solenoid, pcv and several vacuum lines with no change.
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: consistent and if engine is run for very long it begins to over heat
JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i'm fixing it myself. i've replaced the egr, egr solenoid, sensor and several vacuum lines as well as pcv. also catalytic converters are new. no fault codes recorded
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes the fuel pump has been changed due to noisy running
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

ok

have you verified the egr is closed???

also, how old are the cats???

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all 3 cats and egr are new. have not verified egr is closed/closing but i did confirm it functions with vacuum
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

are there any codes???

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in addition to replacing vacuum lines i changed the pcv and did a tune up which included replacing cop's and plugs. the car runs great by removing one vacuum line from the egr, but by doing that it causes a check engine light.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no codes
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

remove the line to the egr from the cats and see if it is any better

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Roy, i won't be able to do that for awhile. What should i do if it does improve? I expect it will improve because that is the exhaust feed into the egr and the car runs better when vacuum line is disconnected from egr which prevents exhaust gasses from going into the intake. With either vacuum line removed from egr the car runs great.
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

try it and see. if it is there is a restriction in the exhaust

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Roy there is no restriction in the exhaust. all 3 cats are brand new. the exhaust has been removed and reinstalled. there is excellent flow
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this problem really has me baffled. i changed the cats because it acts like a restriction issue, but again the car runs great with a vacuum line disconnected from the egr. i'm starting to think it's the pcm telling the egr to open too much
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

check the egr solenoid

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i listed all the items i replaed in my first post. the egr solenoid and sensor were replaced
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

just because it was replaced does not mean it is not sending the wrong signal. does it have power?? when it is grounded it sends vacuum.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i guess i could have a bad solenoid out of the box, but it's doing the same thing it was with the old part installed. it has power. I found a diagnostic check on line. I will run the voltage checks tomorrow. if it's passing the diagnostic voltage checks but is sending the wrong signal, what would cause that?
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

not talking about a bad part. I am talking about voltage control

also, do you have a scan tool that can read live data