Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Crank but No start. No spark at plug. Is Spark from coil.

Customer Question
This is a 1994 Ford...
Crank but No start. No spark at plug. Is Spark from coil. This is a 1994 Ford with 4.9L engine. Has eec-iv. Have replaced ignition module, pick up coil. Ignition coil is new. The plugs distributor cap, rotor and plug wires replaced within a few months ago.Engine was running but cut off while driving and has not started again since. Was having trouble starting when engine was hot prior to the now no start.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Ford
8/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN replied 3 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Are you saying that there is spark going into the distributor cap but no spark coming out of the distributor cap to the spark plugs or wires? If so, the new distributor cap and rotor are faulty, provided the distributor rotor is turning while cranking the engine. (Of course, be sure the rotor is not spinning free on the distributor shaft for any reason.)

I used a spark tester and it flickers when attached to coil plug wire. When used from distributor cap to plugs I get nothing
Rotor does turn while cranking engine.

Sounds like your new cap and rotor need to be replaced under warranty.

I'll give that a try. It's been weird lately because when I drive and stop to go in a store come back out and no start but cranked. Wait till engine cools then would start. Now nothing

Sounds good!!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Will do! I'll try cap and rotor and circle back with results

Sounds good, keep in mind, you can always reply back even after you rate my answer.

New cap and rotor. No spark on plugs still

Send me a video please

Not sure how. Only shows option for sending photos

Post it on youtube and send me the link.

Or send it to my cell.

What's number to text it?

It is in the offer I sent you

Sorry I don't see any numbers
Is it this conversation or do I look elsewhere?

It should be in the pop up

The(###) ###-####

NO, I just sent it over again.

Where do I look for it?

There should be a pop up

No pop up

Are you on an iphone?

Maybe your settings are blocking pop up ads..

iPhone
Says on Safari that pop up ads are not blocked

Ok, please sit tight

I have sent this question in to customer service.

They are working on it now.

Thank you

Ok thanks
Does that bring in another tech or will I be working with you still?

With me

Ok cool
I have auto experience , no expert, and willing to do what's necessary. I'm just stumped on this one
AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN