Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Wont crank over when engine is hot, The starter isn't even

Wont crank over when engine...
Wont crank over when engine is hot
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: The starter isn't even turning the motor over.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 explorer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yea. Replaced the starter twice and the first 6 inches of the ignition wire at the solenoid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It starts fine when the engine is cold
8/2/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Are you looking for possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

What size engine do you have?

4.0 v6

Are there any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash/cluster when this no crank condition occurs?

Light in center of dash near windshield is flashing red. Not sure if it does that all the time though

Is this with the key on or off?

Is the vehicle currently starting?

It finally started after about 30minutes and I drove it home

Excellent!!

Not really

Happens everytime

This is an ongoing issue. What could it be

You need to diagnose it. It could be anything.

The reason I say this is because if I "guess" and I am wrong, your going to bet upset with me. Even if I am trying to help you. And I would not want you to be upset with me. Make sense?

Are you aware of how this starting circuit works?

I think so but, please enlighten me. I won't be upset lol

Sure thing.

One moment while I type.

The PCM activates the starter relay by sending a ground signal to it when the conditions are right.

The ignition switch and transmission range sensor (along with the fuses) provide power to the starter relay on TWO different pins.

So, for the starter relay to activate, it needs two powers and one ground. When this happens, the contacts inside the relay close and it will then send power out down to the starter on the fourth wire if the relay.

So to answer your questions, what could be wrong? Well, here is a list.

Transmission range sensor

Starter relay

Ignition switch

Wiring/connections

Anything with the PCM which includes the security system or a faulty or missing power/ground

Faulty central junction box

Faulty battery junction box

You see? The answer is A LOT! That is why you need to diagnose it.

So, we can talk on the phone if you would like to take it one step further, or if your happy with my assistance, please rate my answer as 5 STARS or SMILEY faces.

Thank you!!

I have changed the starter relay and ignition switch. I have purchased the transmission range sensor and will be installing it tomorrow. I'd like to keep this conversation going until then. Is that ok?

I would like a positive rating for assisting you with your question.

YES, this question will remain open and you can still reply back tomorrow any no further cost.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Thank you very much!

Honest, your best bet would be to check the inputs right at the starter relay when this no crank condition occurs.

Let me know!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN