Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Ford Expedition 2WD that the transmission

Customer Question
slips into neutral anytime it...
I have a 2005 Ford Expedition 2WD that the transmission slips into neutral anytime it is OD. Turn off OD and it runs through the gears with no proublem.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Are you planning to have yours diagnosed and repaired or are you wanting to just replace it with a used or remanufactured transmission?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Diagnosed and repaired

The concern with 4th gear going to neutral is going to be related to the overdrive band or its servo not holding the reverse clutch drum stationary. This can be a concern with the parts mentioned or with the valve body. At a Ford dealer this can be a parts and labor repair as low as 700$ or as high as 1500$. The higher cost would be for a trans removal and internal repair done. If that is needed I would opt for a complete overhaul and inspection, not just fix this one issue and get out. If that path is chosen then expect that 1500 to be about 1800$

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Sorry you were not pleased with my help.