Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2013 f150 plat. ecoboost A/C starts up then stops 1 min

Customer Question

2013 f150 plat. ecoboost A/C starts up then stops 1 min later it starts up again and stops. i changed the res. then 20 min later the fan quit. I changed the fan but i wonder if i damaged the new res. Does the system do a soft start.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: not yet but would it not throw a code
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: my f-150 plat. is a 2013
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Is res resistor?

Is the concern with the HVAC blower or the engine cooling fan?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
res is resistor. and HVAC Blower. Does the system soft start i ask because it may have killed the new faster speed resistor when the fan smoked. It is not giving a code.

The blower does not have a soft start. Do you own a volt meter?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i will check the resistors. Would low R134 shut off the Hvac Blower. Then the system resets and it will try again? Would it not throw a code?

Do you own a volt meter?

Low freon does not affect the blower

Blower issues rarely throw HVAC codes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If we do not have a soft start. when you turn on the a/c the fan starts that would not be a resistor problem. What could stop the fan after 5 seconds and restart it 1 min. later.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do have a volt meter what can I do

At the blower are yellow/green and yellow/blue wires. When turned on do you get constant battery voltage to the yellow/green wire?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry i have to work message you tomorrow.
Thanks Ben

No problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Chris,
Well i found the problem. FYI the F-150 Platinum do not have resistors,They instead use a PIC microprocessor controlled Pulse Width Modulated scheme. It does have a soft start. When I tried to measure the NiCrome resistors i understandably did not find a resistance. I cracked the case and found the electronics. The original Ford part has more over current protection but, but will not take a sustained hit. The after market part is more sensitive and just as expensive. When the fan motor was shorting between brushes the original Ford part took the current spikes for some time. I was in Zion's national park at the time. So the parts store only had a control unit but not a fan. The aftermarket part blew almost immediately. Do not buy aftermarket control units. Same $90 not the same protection. PN# *****Thank You
Ben

Glad you got it resolved.