Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

The instrument panel lights don't turn on, the truck's

Customer Question

The instrument panel lights don't turn on, the truck's connection plug to read problem codes is not working and even after changing spark plugs and coils the truck struggles with getting either enough air or gas in the fuel injectors to have power. I'm so clueless. Thank you for your time and help with this.
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?
Customer: Miles - 175K , changed spark plugs and coils 3 days ago.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 F-150 XLT V-8 5.4
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I've done was go through the inside cabin fuses to see if any were bad.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The truck struggles when I press the accelerator to respond, the RPMS rises but slow movement front truck. I have to press and let go the gas several times to get it to respond and move faster .
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

Do you get a check engine light on or know of any stored codes?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The check engine light was on but is not now, but now the passengers air bag light on the panel is turning on even when someone is sitting on the passenger seat.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can't do the call option right now because changing the coils for the spark plugs were expensive, sorry.

If the system is not able to access codes for the body control module or computer to get the codes then you will need to have the connector checked to see if you have a network issue where all the computers communicate on. This is not a common issue and no known issues I am aware of but there are chances that the tester used is not compatible with your truck system. Try to go to a parts store nearby and see if their scanner works? They do not charge you to check system.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My code reader used to work before on my truck. Does that affect the motor performance? I was told to try changing the fuel filter and clean the air intake sensor. Should I do that anyways ?

It may be an issue with your code reader. Try the parts store to verify if it is your scanner or the computer network. I would not change anything until all the different electrical issues can be resolved. Will the check engine light turn on if your just turn key to on position without starting?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All of the panel warning signs turn on on the panel but didn't notice if it stays on without me starting the truck

You are having three different issues. No dash lights, airbag problems and engine running issues. They may all be related in some way but no way for me to tell unless you can get the codes retrieved. When the check engine light was on did you get the codes then? If so what did you get?

For the sluggish motor it would not hurt replacing the air and fuel filters. The MAF sensor may be a problem also but until you can get codes you may be throwing money away by replacing this sensor even though they are very common problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I couldn't get the codes because the reader wouldn't turn on when connected. I'll go to the parts store to see which one would be the prreader or the connection plug

Ok. Let me know after you try their tester.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I'm heading there right now.

Ok.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jay ! Ok, I went to the car part store and the code plug in the truck is not working.

Check fuse number 110 (20amp) in fuse box under left side of dash to see if it got blown?

The fuse powers the DLC connector and the cigar lighter on dash. You may have put something in lighter socket that blew fuse?

Here is fuse box id for you if you need it. https://1drv.ms/b/s!ArGz65GfcqjYokcLmayrIhg5ixSZ

let me know if this is one of the problems why the DLC did not work?

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"