Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have an ABS and P brake showing on the dash. Yes, the

Customer Question
I have an ABS...

I have an ABS and P brake showing on the dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

Yes, the fluid level is fine. The brakes are working fine as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2010 F150 XL, (4.6)

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm trying. I've checked the fuses, and replaced the original battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The OBD shows code P0500, Vehicle Speed sensor.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
The Tire pressure indicator also comes on, the speedometer and odometer don't work as well.
8/2/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

It sounds like the vehicle speed sensor has gone out or the wiring to the speed sensor has been damaged somehow. This will affect the ABS, speedometer and odometer exactly as you describe. The tire pressure monitor light might be related, but it's hard to say. Does the light blink or just stay on solid?

solid
Where is the location of the Speed Sensor?

If the TPMS light is solid then it's likely one of the tires is just low. Let me see if I can find a diagram to send you that shows the location of the VSS.

This is most likely the sensor that is causing the fault:

When I was under the truck last night, I was only able to see (one) cable connecting to the transmission. When I disconnected the connector, it had a SINGLE one Pin connector..

It should be on the driver's side about halfway up on the transmission.

I'm at work until 430pm (EST), so I'll try after work to locate the sensor.

Sounds good.

Thanks Jared for your Help..

You bet.

Ford Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 6 months ago
Cary York
Phone call session started
Ron, ASE Certified Technician