Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Wrench light coming on, the wench light symbol, 2008 f 250,

Customer Question

wrench light coming on
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the wench light symbol
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2008 f 250
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: changing the altenator
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Have you had it scanned for codes yet? Does the engine and transmission operate normally when the light comes on?

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ive scanned for the codes nothing cam up my engine and transmission runs great
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Are you using a generic code reader?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
obd II
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
a scanner I don't know what you mean by generic
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Is it a small hand held code reader like autozone sells?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Ford has many proprietary transmission, throttle body and PCM codes that can only be read by high end scanners such as Ford IDS, Snap on SOLUS etc... the auto parts store code readers will not pull these codes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this is a actron a yellow scanner you plug in
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Yes actron will only read generic OBD2 universal codes. Looks like you are going to have to have it scanned with a higher end scanner. Sorry please don't shoot the messenger.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that's ok the wrench came on my lights suddenly dimmed and had it checked and the voltage regulator was bad changed the altenator but the wrench came back on
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

I would suspect it is going to have one or more of these manufacturer specific codes. They really go all out sometimes with these codes, making you take it to the dealer! There are several high end scanners that aftermarket shops use, cheapest one is over 2K.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
basically you cant tell me anything at all what are the common problems stemming from the the wrench symbol
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Gas or Diesel?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
diesel
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Intermittent output shaft speed sensor failures, Intermittent transmission range sensor failures, Internal PCM torque calculation errors, Internal PCM engine timer faults, Intermittent high speed can buss errors. Next to impossible without codes, these are the most common that I see at the dealer. There are also many diesel specific codes that the actron won't retrieve either, catalyst, dpfe, regen codes and the like are all manufacturer specific.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Best of luck!