HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I replaced my buddys front brakes last week and he didn,t

Customer Question

I replaced my buddys front brakes last week and he didn,t take the reservoir cap off. I refilled the reservoir and forgot to decompress the bladder. Now his ABS light comes on and gets occassional ABS brake vibrations. Is that a low brake fluid warning?
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: My understanding is just the ABS light.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 I think.
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the front brakes for a friend. Won't see it again til tomorrow.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I think that covers it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, what kind of ford is this? 2 or***** What did you replace, pads and rotors? Front or rear?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Four-wheel-drive just front brakes and rotors
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not making this complicated . When the brake fluid is low does the ABS give you a warning ?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Not the abs light but the red brake warning light will come on. Just compressing the pistons in the caliper without removing the cap will not cause the abs light to come on. Four wheel drive what? F150, 250, expedition?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expedition
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Explorer, sorry
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Ok the front rotors are just top hat rotors that sit on the hubs. Either you somehow damaged one of the front wheel speed sensors wires or the tone wheel the sensor reads off of or you have a different issue. But it will not be caused by leaving the master cylinder cap on. Inspect the front sensor wires and the tone wheels for damage and repair as necessary. Otherwise you will need to get a scan tool capable of communicating with the abs module and see what code or codes are stored to find out what the issue is with the system.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, thanks for your help.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

You are welcome, if you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.