Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ive got an old 2001 f350 7.3 with ignition problems, My key

Ive got an old 2001...
Ive got an old 2001 f350 7.3 with ignition problems
JA: Have you checked the battery lately?
Customer: My key works fine and I have already replaced the swith under the dash. Batteries are good. I can start it by crossing the solenoid terminals
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, fixing it myself. not much of a mechanic. poor people have poor ways, lol
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i know of
8/1/2017
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help you any way I can.

Does fuse number 20 receive power with the key in the crank position?

Do you have my question about my f350?

Yes sir I do.

Could it be the part of the ignition that rotates with the key?
What about a relay?

YES sir it can be.

If this fuse is good but does not have power with the key in the CRANK position, the ignition switch very well could be at fault.

However, if this fuse does have power with the key in the crank position, that mean the ignition switch is good. I would then suspect an issue with the transmission range switch.

The only relay in the circuit is the starter solenoid.

how do i go about testing the number 20 fuse?

You can leave it in place and use a test light or voltmeter to check for power on it touching the metal part on top or flat side of it with the key in the CRANK position. It should read close to battery voltage when the key is in the CRANK position. You will need an assistant to help with this.

Or course, be sure this fuse checks out good. :)

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
ok, thanks. format of this page is a little trying but i appreciate the help.

Thank you for the positive rating and you are most welcome.

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Have a great day!!

AMEDEE
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN