kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I turned the ignition and it makes a click sound i have

Customer Question

I turned the ignition and it makes a click sound i have bought a new battery and changed out the battery terminals is it my starter?
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Yes i bought a new one
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2006 ford explorer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My self
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 2 months ago.

If all you get is a single click when you try to start the engine, most likely the starter is the problem. The best way to test to see if the starter is the problem will be to have some one hold the switch in the start position, and tap on the starter with a wooden handle. If the starter kicks in and starts the engine, then you have a bad brush in the starter and it will need to be rebuilt or replaced.