Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I turned the ignition and it makes a click sound i have

Customer Question
I turned the ignition...

I turned the ignition and it makes a click sound i have bought a new battery and changed out the battery terminals is it my starter?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes i bought a new one

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2006 ford explorer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

My self

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/1/2017
Ford Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 year ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

If all you get is a single click when you try to start the engine, most likely the starter is the problem. The best way to test to see if the starter is the problem will be to have some one hold the switch in the start position, and tap on the starter with a wooden handle. If the starter kicks in and starts the engine, then you have a bad brush in the starter and it will need to be rebuilt or replaced.