Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2005 Ford Escape With a V6 that was in an accident.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Ford Escape With a V6 that was in an accident. At this time I have replaced the Radiator, AC Radiator and Brake Cooler. At this point I have a leak in the front of the motor behind the fans. If I fill the radiator full of liquid it will not leak when it is started. It will only leak when it the engine is revved over 4k rpm. Is there something that I can do?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The leak you are seeing can be caused by the water pump.The water pump can leak or act up in some cases only under pressure or under higher flow situations like when the engine is revved up.

What needs to be done is to have a coolant pressure tester put on the vehicle to pressure test the cooling system to locate the leak.Most shops or a dealer will have this tool and generally charge a half hour to an hours labor.In some cases a parts store will test this free of charge or can rent out a coolant pressure tester for you to do this yourself.

If when pressure tested no leaks show up then you will need to add coolant dye to the radiator fluid.This dye can be purchased at a local parts store.Then the engine ran to circulate the dye then revved up to allow it to leak then use a leak tracer light ( black light) to locate where this dye is seeping from.It will show up a bright yellow or orange or even green ( depending on the dye color) and then the leak can be repaired.

These are the best ways to locate this leak.I suspect you will find the water pump is the cause needing replaced as this is most common.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is not helpful.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Did you check the water pump area at all?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did. The leak does not seem to be coming from there.There is one more hose that is in the front that connects to a pipe that appears to go tot he block. I am not sure if that is the place.A diagram would be helpful.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Is it any of these hoses or components you suspect?If so let me know which one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7zmvzix9s93foxa/h-08-01.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not certain what the key is to these numbers. Looking at it the diagram looks wrong for my vehicle.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

That is odd as that shows to be the correct info on your model.Let me open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can help further.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What is the key to this diagram? There are no labels.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not want to wait 24 hours. I am working on this now.
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David. Can you tell me from the drawing here it is leaking from approximately?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is someone going to give me a diagram that is actually helpful? This is the back end of the motor not the the front of the car.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Read the question. Then answer based on the information. If you cannot do that you should stop acting like an expert.

have a great wonderful day.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Another one bites the dust. Is anyone going to help me? Please tell me there is someone competent on here. To the person who can actually help me you are getting a bonus.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Seriously I would love to be helped here.
Expert:  roy replied 2 months ago.

2 people have tried to help you and you be rated them for there efforts. we would love to help but your attitude is blocking us from helping.

Roy

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
3 people have now opted in and out. Classy. Diagram with a Key would be helpful. Perhaps willingness to help. Solve and I will give a bonus. Anyone out here want to actually do work?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Would you like me to help?

Can you list out what you need from me in questions or images etc...?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would love for you to help me. Can you read through the info and ask questions to help resolve this?

Is this still the question you need addressed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is.

So the leak is coming from the side of the engine up against the radiator and fans, correct?

The leak occurs in park and while driving but only at high rpm, correct?

The collision you were in, did parts smash up against the engine?

Is the leak a spray or drip or stream?

Is the leak more towards the front of the engine where the belt is or the rear where the transaxle? You view this engine form the passenger fender which is the front of the engine.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In Front. All the radiators smashed against the motor, but nothing appears to be damaged. Only at high RPM and it is a spray.

Best you can tell, where does it seem like the leak originates from in this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/fihdi2d2vwkfgiy/123456.png?dl=0

Have you use a cooling system pressure pump to help try and find the leak without needing to run the engine at high rpm?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Right in the middle. Left of the water pump.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not used any “true” diagnostic tools. All trial and error. It is all right around the center of that image left of the water pump.

Since it is in the area of 456. That leaves the oil cooler and water pump and there hoses as the most likely culprits. Based on the rpm, I believe it may have to do with the rotational torque on the pump housing to blame. So without seeing it, my pick is the pump. I suggest you use a cooling system pressure pump to get the system up to max pressure so you can see the source of the leak without running the engine and thoroughly look around the pump for cracks. There is still the possibility this impact cracked the block or head or damaged a freeze plug.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you have a diagram and part numbers for those hoses?I don't think anything cracked as the impact was from a hitch at less and 1 mph.I drove it home and I think the hoses are shot from getting hot with no water, but I don't know which ones I need to buy.Also do you have any suggestions for getting to those clamps in the houses behind the manifold that is not pictured in your picture?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This has not been helpful. I would like a refund.

At what point was my assistance not helpful? I provided the part numbers you asked for and told you the areas that could be leaking and told you how to diagnose and find those leaks.

You must contact the website to discuss your account, I just answer questions.