Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I like to change cigar lighter to not always on (*hot*) 2011

Customer Question

I like to change cigar lighter to not always on (*hot*)
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2011 Explorer
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just looked the manual.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Wonder if I can just unplug the relay for cigar lighter and pug it to a place where is not *hot*
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 50K. Battery is one year new
Category: Ford
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

doing all of the wiring changes your talking about is very complicated, more so than just adding a cap to the plug hole, is there a reason for wanting this to be off?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bought a dash cam and I like it. However, I am afraid the battery will ran out if I plug it in all the time since cigar lighter is always on.

you can pull the plug and add a switch if you would like that would be easier than the wire relay deal, or just unplug it when you get out,