Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I like to change cigar lighter to not always on (*hot*) 2011…

Customer Question
I like to change...

I like to change cigar lighter to not always on (*hot*)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2011 Explorer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just looked the manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wonder if I can just unplug the relay for cigar lighter and pug it to a place where is not *hot*

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?

50K. Battery is one year new

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
7/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

doing all of the wiring changes your talking about is very complicated, more so than just adding a cap to the plug hole, is there a reason for wanting this to be off?

I bought a dash cam and I like it. However, I am afraid the battery will ran out if I plug it in all the time since cigar lighter is always on.

you can pull the plug and add a switch if you would like that would be easier than the wire relay deal, or just unplug it when you get out,