Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2006 Mustang GT with a 4.6 L 3v motor that is

Customer Question
giving me fits. I have...
I have a 2006 Mustang GT with a 4.6 L 3v motor that is giving me fits. I have the dreaded wrench light. It's mainly in the morning when it's cold. It starts up but as it idles down it starts running rough and dies with wrench light on. It won't start back up unless you cycle the key. It seems like when the motor has more of a load on it, it's worse (ac on, and in gear). After it's warm it stays running unless you give wot, it will cut out and stall with wrench light. Codes I have are PO446, p2004, p2005, po172, po175. We have replaced throttle body and pcm, still doing it. Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
7/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

Given the codes you are seeing I would probably look at two things:

1. Fuel pump- If you can get your hands on a fuel pressure test gauge set you can test to make sure you are seeing at least 40psi on cold start up and about 50 or so with the engine running.

2. MAF sensor- make sure the mass air flow sensor is clean and the tiny contacts inside the sensor aren't bend or damaged in any way. You might also consider replacing it since it cuts out at WOT- that's almost always a good sign that it's bad (assuming you have good fuel pressure).

Also, if you clear the codes out of the system and run it again and the p2004 comes right back I would check the following to make sure the IMRC isn't bad:

1. At the Intake Manifold Runner Control (IMRC) actuator, check the Red/Yellow (RD/YE) wire for battery voltage and the Black/White (BK/WH) wire for ground.

2. If OK, use 2 Digital Volt-Ohm Meters (DVOM) to monitor the Brown (BN) wire and Orange/White (OG/WH) wire. At idle, the BN wire should read about 12 V, the OG/WH wire should read either 2.5 V or 5 V. Then rev the engine up to at least 3000 RPM. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) should ground the BN wire and the IMRC actuator should operate. The voltage on the OG/WH wire should then drop to under 1 V.

3. If the actuator does not move when grounded, verify the linkage is not mechanically binding. If there are no mechanical problems, suspect a faulty actuator.
New fuel pump. New MAF sensor.

Oh ok.

How quickly do the codes set after you clear them?

Pretty quick. Go drive 5 miles come back on. I was getting codes running lean, but since I put new tb on it's giving codes running rich.

I would probably look at the IMRC. MAke sure it's not stuck closed.

Ok. You can manually open it. But we haven't checked the grounds and wires though. If the fuel pressure is not 40 psi at cold start the fuel pump is bad?
The reason I'm asking about fuel pump is we didn't put a oem in, it's one from AutoZone.
We've had a couple of after market pumps fail straight out of the box. Usually the airtex or spectra are ok. I would make sure you have at least 40psi. If not, it's defective.
Ok. Thank you for info. I will try these things and get back to you. I have never used this before. How long does this chat stay open? I will have more questions if this doesn't fix the issues
What about code PO446? Is that related to fuel pump?

Sorry, had to leave the shop for the day. The p0446 is an evap leak code. It's most likely fuel pump related. I would check to make sure the seal on the pump is good and that all vent lines are hooked up and sealing nicely.

No problem. Thank you, ***** ***** the fuel pressure see if it's range.

Sounds good. Let me know how it goes.

Fuel pressure is good. 40 psi at cold start. It stays around 40 psi when idling. According to shop Manuel it's in range. 35-70 psi while idling. Is that correct. I reset codes again, turned freeze frame on scanner, it died gave code PO446. That's only code it gave this time. Could the evap system be causing the wrench light and making it stall on cold start and while it's driving? No check engine light this time, just code PO446 on freeze frame data. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you

Sorry, your question dropped to my timed out list from lack of a positive rating.

I've never seen a vent canister purge valve cause the engine to stall. It sounds like something else is going on. Maybe the fuel pressure is just a little low. You might consider replacing the pump again.

Ok. Will try that

I would suspect the pump is cracked or the evap line on the top of the pump is disconnected or something funny is going on. It's unusual for it to stall like that.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician