Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

Is there diffrent series of 5.4 engines? What changes? I

Customer Question

Is there diffrent series of 5.4 engines?
What changes?
I took my truck to a shop, the truck needs new motor, he said he got me one now he is saying motor is diffrent because of the vin
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Yes, there are differences, one being 2 valve the other 3 valve on triton 5.4L engines. depending on year. What year is your Expedition, and can you give me the 8th digit in the VIN number.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well i know i have the three vavle. Is there diffrent types of 5.4 engines
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dint have the vin on hand.
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

What year is the Expedition? I know I've used an 07 in for an 05 and it worked fine on 5.4. I'm pulling up a reference now on what can work where, the heads are where the real differences are.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the mechanic said something to do with the v in the vin and a 5
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

You have the title or an auto insurance card somewhere? VIN will be on either one of those.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Im in dallas truck in el paso
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

I follow you, The expedition is looking like it's either an 05, 06, 07, or 08 with a 5 in the VIN.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Is it one of those year Expeditions?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a 2007 ford expedition limited 4 x4
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Alright, That 5 in the VIN means, that any 5.4 from 05-08 will work. out of an F150 or Expedition of F250 or any ford product with a 5 in the 8th position of the VIN. I use car-part.com for trying to find the best deals on engines. I used a dallas zip code and found these.

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?userSearch=int&userPID=1000&userLocation=USA&userIMS=&userInterchange=FABAO&userSide=&userDate=2005&userDate2=2005&dbModel=27.14.1.1&userModel=Ford%20Expedition&dbPart=300.1&userPart=Engine&sessionID=200000000000000001115302518&userPreference=grade&userZip=75212&userLat=32.7812&userLong=-96.879&userIntSelect=654187&userUID=0&userBroker=&iKey=&userPage=4

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

You can put your zip code in and search one in your local area. with the 5 in the 8th digit of the VIN, you only want to use any used engine that came from a vehicle with a 5 in the vin, if you try to use other engines from different VIN codes, you run into issues with check engine lights as some of the sensors aren't the same, or the wiring harnesses can be slightly different. I would only use a replacement engine with a 5 in the 8th digit of the donor car. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Did you have any further questions for me on this one? thanks.