Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have a 2012 Ford Focus and the start assist light came on

I have a 2012 Ford Focus and the hill start assist light came on and the transmission is stuck in neutral. Also, after turning the engine off and trying to restart it, I get no turn over. Any clue on what is causing this? Oh, and this happens after the engine has been running for about 15 minutes or so.
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: The first time it happened a check engine light came one but quickly went away, and never has returned. Also, no sign of a spark or turn over of the engine.
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not sure. I have checked the battery and the battery is excellent. Not sure about the starter or tcm module
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It does correct itself once the engine has cooled or sat for a period.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

This is usually caused by a failed transmission control module (TCM). Very common on these. Ford has extended the warranty on these. If you have the VIN#, current mileage and state of registration I can check and see if it is covered.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a way to send the vin privately, without making it public?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Rather not pay the extra, just didn't want the VIN number to be put out to the public.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should o be concerned with making my VIN number available on this site?

Not that I am aware of. We do post VIN numbers on the site often. If you are concerned for security, then I would recommend calling a Ford dealer directly. The extended warranty/recall number is ***** Coverage extended 10 years from purchase date or 150k miles, whichever occurs first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you! One more question. Would TCM malfunction also cause the car not to start, or turn over?

Yes absolutely, The TCM provides gear position to the PCM for engine starting. When the module goes down the PCM does not receive a valid park or neutral signal and will not allow the engine to crank.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I appreciate your help with this.

Your very welcome!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I will go ahead and rate it. Thanks.

Thank you and best of luck!