Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have a 2000 Ford F250 7.3 diesel that is suddenly sputtering

Customer Question

have a 2000 Ford F250 7.3 diesel that is suddenly sputtering with loss of power. Just traveled 2000 miles non stop without an issue.
JA: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 2000. Oil change and routine maintenance one week ago
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It did this about 4 years ago and I was able to get it going with a diesel fuel additive...possibly dirty fuel.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Airaid cold air intake and exhaust to match has been added.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

on some F450 they have a lift pump by the tank to push the fuel towards the main pump on the engine, so if you have this then check that its getting 12V on its fuse and you can also get this issue with contaminated fuel , if there’s water or dirt in the tank then either the petrol floats on top of the water or the filter sock on the pump is choked up – so if the other things check out then I’d consider pulling out the fuel pump and cleaning the filter sock

And one other thing to try is to loosen off the fuel filler cap, as there’s a 1 way valve built into the cap to let air into the tank and so prevent a vacuum from being created as the fuel leaves the tank to the engine
If this helps then replace the cap with a new item

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
55357;�
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hello

do you need further explanation? If so then please ask

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you