Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Windows and radio aren't working on my sons 06 mustang

Customer Question
Windows and radio aren't working...
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
7/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 6 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

My son added an amp with power straight off of the battery. the amp power touched a remote power line that went to the stereo. This blew a 5a fuse in the passenger fuse box. He replaced the fuse with a 10a. It shorted again. This time the fuse didn't blow. I'm not sure what is next in line after the fuse. I imagine the 5a to 10a fuse difference caused it to blow something else down the line.

I would attach a scan tool to the computers and do bidirectional tests to see if you can get information that way. I also attached some good security information for you to review.

Most parts stores will loan you this tool for a deposit.

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.
Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks, Ron

Sorry,Trying to do this while at work. I don't think this is a security issue. The car starts and runs fine. The second message had more info about the issue. I wrote it in the original description then went back and it disappeared. I guess the main question is where would I look after the fuse for the issue. I believe the fuse was location 6A in the passenger fuse box. It was a 5 amp fuse in the middle bottom row.2nd spot from the right. It is the one to the right of the A in the picture.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You would need to look at associated grounds and the connectors for radio and windows. Check the wiring that goes through the doors first, they get the most wear and abuse due to the opening and closing of the doors. Check the driver's side first because there are more wires in that one to support radio functions on a steering wheel.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

That doesn't seem right either. The short happened at the amp in the trunk. The amp has a power off of the battery, a ground to the trunk, and a remote power that goes to the aftermarket stereo. The remote power was shorted with the power twice. It blew the fuse as described in the picture. The first time he replaced it and everything was fine. It shorted again and He replaced it with a 10 instead of a 5 amp. I guess the question is where is the next thing that would short or blow beyond the fuse described.

I see, that amp may have an internal short then. I would take it to a radio shop to have it tested.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me now and keep this link.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor