davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

My 2008 Ford F-150 sat for two months. I cranked it up and

Customer Question

My 2008 Ford F-150 sat for two months. I cranked it up and drove 900 miles. Two days later my sunroof track system broke so I unplugged the connector to the sunroof switch in the dome light panel. The next morning I had to jump the battery, drove two hours and stopped for ten minutes at a gas station, had to get another jump to start the truck. Drove 1100 miles in two days back home, so a total of 2000 miles from Monday-Friday with two jumps in a two hour period on Thursday morning. Saturday it started fine. Sunday was dead and heard fast paced clicking in between the cab and bed. Just bought a new battery and started up fine. Should I be worried that there is an open circuit draining the new battery and that this will happen all over again?
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: Yes, that doesn't help.
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: What part?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JA.... it sounds like you may have a weak cell in the battery....can you get to an auto zone, or advanced auto or pep boys? They will test the battery for free.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought the same thing, there were two and it was only holding 4 volts. My question is: how could I start the truck, right up after two months of sitting still, and drive 900+ miles before I ever had a problem which only happened after the moonroof track system was damaged and I left the connection to the switch unplugged overnight? Then, two jumps in two hours? Another 1100+ miles and sat for 12 hrs before starting right up on Saturday, then Sunday it was dead with what I thought sounded like the fuel pump clicking away...is there a possibility that something could still drain the brand new battery that I bought today? < --That is the question. Please advise, thank you.V/R,Justin Curtis
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.

Yes...there could be a battery draw.....just unplugging the nonprofit switch would not cause a draw....if you have a DVOM I can instruct you on how to check for a draw

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you don't mind, where would I test for a random open circuit that is the draw? Would it be in the moonroof switch or do I have to check the fuse boxes and wiring harness? I have access to a meter tomorrow, tonight I'm on an island in FL. Please detail the instructions and I can initiate the diagnostic tomorrow.
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Ok...make sure we are using a digital voltmeter ohm meter.....is that what you can get access to?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have access tomorrow.
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Ok...I will give instructions in the morning on how to perform a parasitic draw test.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One final question: am I being charged $23 for every response given? Thank you kindly!
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
No....you are being charged for asking your question, and getting the help you need to repair your vehicle....how it works is that we will go back and forth asking each other questions and I'll be having you check a few things....since I am not there with your vehicle I need you to be my eyes and hands....that way I can assist you in repairing your vehicle, but you only pay one time. If you have a new question in the future you would have to pay again for that.
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Okay the correct way to check for a battery draw is to disconnect the negative battery cable set your DVR M on the 10 amp scale hook the negative portion of your dvom to the batteries negative post hook the positive terminal of your dvom to the negative battery cable leave the key in the off position and leave all the doors closed and you have to wait 45 minutes for all the modules in the vehicle to go to sleep before you can get a true reading and how much battery draw there is after 45 minutes there should not be more than .04 amps of battery draw
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Did you have a chance to check for any battery draw?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did once on Tuesday and twice yesterday with no draw. However, after completing the first one, I drove around all day Tuesday and each time it was hesitant to crank over. The same with Wednesday. Brand new battery and completed the draw test with an engineer who has done it before. Please advise.
Expert:  davehop replied 2 months ago.
Ok....all vehicles have some battery draw....there is an acceptable amount....what was the reading on your meter after the time I told you to wait for the modules to go to sleep?