Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I noticed this weekend the coolant was low. I recently had…

Customer Question
I noticed this weekend...

I noticed this weekend the coolant was low. I recently had the radiator and theostat replaced. 2 wks ago we towed a heavy trailer to GA and back. yesterday I checked the fluid and noticed it was low. 2gal. my understanding fluid should not go anywhere. the temp on the thermo was slightly different. I did get the wrench while pulling, which I chalked to a slight temp difference because of the change. it went off after towing was complete. no smoke. seems to run but i'm paranoid, can't tell if it skipped this morning briefly.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

190k. 14-14.3 not towing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 Ford?

06

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet. I changed oil and filters this weekend.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Everything else seems pretty normal.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Ford
7/31/2017
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, what is your vehicle's year make model and engine size?

06 6.0 diesel
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Did you notice any white smoke from exhaust of engine running a little rough?

I have not noticed white smoke out the exhaust. I've had that once before, common with the 6.0s. I can't say it runs rough either. just being paranoid I thought it felt it skipped when at high speed 60-65 but like a said that could be in my head.
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Two gallons is a lot to be low. There vehicle's ar enotorious for the egr coolers leaking. Just take aquick peek at at that, if any evidenace. If not could just be low

how do I take a peek if the egr cooler is leaking? I have had it replaced at least once for sure. I was going to keep an eye on the coolant, driving it to/from work for now. check in a week/two. I thought maybe it loss some towing, but that didn't see right.
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Hello, just checking if any updates?

I checked last night. I did not smell any coolant. one thing I did notice was when towing you hear this grrrr noise when stopping etc. I assume it is the clutch when stopping. Normally doesn't do it during normal driving. Last week I noticed it, but did not notice it last night. could having changed the thermostat cause the engine to overheat during normal operation slightly, causing the coolant tank to loose coolant. the mechanic said he recommended lowering the temp I believe. it was replaced recently with the radiator when it sprung a leak. Also could the type of coolant replaced with be bad for the oil/erc coolers? don't know what they used?
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

There is a possibility that the system had soem air present in the system after cooling system repair. After ir purged it got low on coolant and caused it to overheat.

Not expecting it to be that low, I put water in. It is still a little low which I can replace with coolant. I was looking and read some coolants, ie the Motorcraft, actually may block the coolers, but others type may react badly? is that true. I saw people recommended to add ELC (Extended Life Coolant)?? one thing I have learned is anything I thought I knew about cars and engines don't apply to the 6.0
Ford Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 9 months ago

Yes, ELC is prefferable but any issues caused are in long run not right away. Since you had to put 2 gallons of coolant that was too much afer purge. But it not showing any evidence of leak or white smoke from exhaust, do you will just have to wait and see. BUt i will definately recommend to take out the water and add coolant in it as water will evaporate

Ron, ASE Certified Technician