HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac I had disconnected the battery

Customer Question

2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
I had disconnected the battery and replaced the cruise control switches , once i reconnected the battery the horn blows and the anti theft light is blinking which could of happened because i left the door open when reconnecting the battery.
How can i reset the anti theft and where is the horn relay located?
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, you should have had the airbag/horn pad off while replacing the switches. The horn pad is most likely making contact when it shouldnt so disconnect the battery and remove the airbag/horn pad and inspect the wiring for being shorted against metal inside the steering wheel. The red theft lamp should blink slow when the key is out of the ignition. If it blinks fast when you turn the key to on, the key itself may have lost its programming, if you have another key you can try it or have a local locksmith check the theft system and cut and program 2 new keys. You have to have 2 keys to program the pats system, it cannot be bypassed or reset. it requires a dealer style scan tool to be repaired.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did recheck to make sure the horn switch is not touching and no contact is being made.
The horn is steady like it is stuck in the on position.
Would the horn have burst if it is the Anti Theft?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Is it the yellow anti theft lamp for the perimeter alarm and the horn beeps on and off or the red theft indicator for the PATS security system with the ignition key? Or the horn just stays on steady

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wher is the horn relay located?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The horn just stays steady.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

It is located in the battery under hood fuse panel as shown in the attached photo

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I pulled the relay and it starts so it has to be the horn is grounding out at the steering wheel.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Something has to be since it was fine prior to you working in that area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pulled the airbag re adjusted and it works fine.Thanks
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Very good, I had a feeling it had to do with the airbag/horn contact. You are welcome. if I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.