Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Oil pump changed, spark plugs, vct's, phasers, chains,

Customer Question
Oil pump changed, spark...

Oil pump changed, spark plugs, vct's, phasers, chains, guides, coils, cps, and it runs rough all the time, no vacuum leaks, stalls, and is un-drivable. ECM is making beeping noises. Replaced engine with used engine and did all the work to the used engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?

Compression is good, so no head gasket issues, hot or cold

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

2005 F150 Fx4 3V triton 5.4L

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself, and 3 other mechanics. Everyone is stumped. Including 2 master ford techs. P0011 left bank over retarded code.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Ford
7/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: davehop, Ford Technician replied 11 months ago
davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Hello and welcome to JA.....is P0011 the only code you are getting?
just the one code. The thing that is stumping everyone is that timing is dead on, oil pressure and compression is good. New plugs and everything. The last engine (182,000km) just started acting up and tossed a bearing. So this is an engine from a 07 lariat with 172,000km on it. Ran like a dream. Did the preventive maintanance on it while out, and put it in and the problem persists. Computer is making noises (like a digital moris code) and it's running like absolute crap.
I've never had a PCM make noises....does the PCM make this noise when the key is on and the engine is off or does it only make it when the engine is running?
Both, it makes the noise when running rough and when the key is off and out. It makes the noise for about 10 minutes after the engine is turned off.
I put the pcm (ecm) from the donor truck in the 05 with issues, and it won't even crank over. So I'm guessing it'll need to be flashed.
Ok...anytime you put an engine in another vehicle.... especially in a newer vehicle...it should come from the same year at the very least...and PCM's cannot just be interchanged like that either....and it absolutely needs to be programmed to the vehicle it is being put in......so, let me try to establish a starting point...you have a 2005 truck, with a 2007 engine....which PCM is the one that makes noise?
I've done these engine swaps before with no issues, plus this issue was apparent before the 2007 engine was installed. The pcm from the donor truck (2007) does nit work in the 2005. The 2005 is the truck with issues. So the 2005 stock PCM is the one making noise.
Ok...so the PCM was not making noise until the 2007 engine was installed?
I beleive it was. The 2005 engine was running rough, and stalling. And a hard knock started at about 1200 RPM. Computer was making the squeeling beeping noise with the 05 engine too. So when I purchased the donor truck I ran it, and it had a little phaser noise, I had the new pump, chains, tensioners, vct's, plugs, cps and all that for the 05 but put them in the 2007 instead. Installed the 07 and it ran like crap. We've trouble shot it by checking gaskets, checking and double checking timing, checking the new vcts everything, and still no solution. Guessing the 07 computer has to be flashed and installed.
Ok....that's kind of the direction that I'm leaning towards....I am however worried that we may not be able to program a 2007 PCM to a 2005 vehicle. At this point, I'm going to recommend, based on what you have told me, that the PCM is at fault.....I'm sure that everything with the actual engine is fine.....however I'm going to recommend a new/remanufactured PCM be installed. I know a blank PCM can be flashed into a different vehicle but Going from a 2007 to a 2005 I don't know if it's possible.
I wait g to hear back from my ford master tech now and see what he thinks aswell. The truck has been sitting for a year now. With thousands into it, I'm at my breaking point. And to spend another $1200 on it is just hard to swallow.
I understand