Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2002 Ford E450 econoline chassis for fleetwood tioga 31W

Customer Question

2002 Ford E450 econoline chassis for fleetwood tioga 31W motorhome makes a ringing sound under the cab when going between 55-60 MPH. Above and below this range it does not occur. Does not seem to be RPM specific. Tires are new. VIN 1fdxe45sx2hb64230. I have replaced the ujoints and carrier bearing. Best description I can give of the sound would be like dragging an exhaust pipe on rough concrete
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** best way is to jack up the rear of the vehicle and place on jack stands and run the driveline and listen with a stethoscope. Have you tried this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have not tried this as the sound appears to be speed related and not rpm. Are there specific points you think I should listen at?
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 months ago.

I​ would just placed the stethoscope on the rear diff, the carrier bearings on the driveshaft to start. Also if the noise can'r be duplicated then you would mostly be looking for a wind related noise, check all parts of the body for loose attaching points, check the roof for loose panels or vents, ac ect.