Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1995 ford ranger 3.0. It has a miss in the #4

Customer Question
I have a 1995...

I have a 1995 ford ranger 3.0. It has a miss in the #4 cylinder. I can travel 25 miles to work no problem,but if I stop in between ( for gas or coffee) the miss starts. After work all the way no problem, no miss. The #4 cylinder has 90 psi all others 150-170.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Not a gas hog,start after 4-6 seconds of cranking. I have in the past had a no start condition. but it would start if I held the shift lever toward park.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ranger yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have gotten a new coil pak, plugs And wires. I haven"t install yet. After the compression test, I was thinking of replacement. rebuilt long block.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Over 150,000 miles,that's it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Ford
7/30/2017
Ford Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 6 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

You should have a cylinder leakage test done. This will isolate the problem to see if you have a leaking intake or exhaust valve or the piston rings are leaking. A cylinder leakage test puts air pressure into the cylinder of 120 psi and then you see if you hear leaking air from throttle body (intake valve leak) at exhaust pipe (exhaust valve leak) or from oil fill hole (piston rings) After this test then you can go from there to decide if needs valve job or decarbonize to reseal valves or the piston rings need replaced?

I shot some oil in that cylinder and the pressure went up. I think it's the rings. I just don't understand why the trunk runs on all 6 until I stop and then restart develops the miss. After cool down , it's fine again.

Then you most likely have leaking piston rings if oil squirt causes pressure to rise. When your engine and oil is cool the piston and cylinders are tighter together and thicker oil helps seal and will give a small increase in compression and fuel injection will give more fuel cold. As engine warms the oil is thinner and injection gives less fuel it will not have as much power from the cylinder. Try to decarbonize engine with marvel mystery oil both in fuel tank and also suck it intake about a pint and let engine set for 15 minutes after sucking it in and then run engine. This may loosen sticking rings as long as they are not broken.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61