Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

My 03 thunderbird suddenly started to what seemed misfiring

Customer Question

my 03 thunderbird suddenly started to what seemed misfiring on multiple cylinders , then gets better then worse then ok and mediocre again .Engine light appeared and disappeared a few time at full throttle but car having trouble to accelerate .I went to the smog check place when it seemed to be better for my control .I told them what happened and they checked codes although no engine lights on .The codes were P0606 P1235 and P2107
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it blinked and didn't stay on
JA: Are you fixing your Thunderbird yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just happened a couple hours ago.I thought it was a couple cop going bad as it happened before but not sure since code seems to ppoint out to fuel pump or computer malfunction .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Car had a starting problem last year .Started and then shut off .It's been fixed by replacing the reset button under the hood on the side ,Engine light stayed a little bit then disapeared .Everything was well with the car except a thermostat housing that blew ( plastic) and put me on limp mode .That too was fixed and car was running great .I haven't put a thousand mile on the car since last year so there is few miles inbetween those events .Many months but few miles
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

This is usually caused by a failing coil as you suspected. Usually when the coil is causing the misfire it radiates large amounts of RF interference causing PCM and throttle body codes. I have also seen coils emit large amounts of RF with no misfires present. Problem is identifying which coil is at fault. Ford dealers have a way they can stress test coils individually, but other than that I have seen may customers just bite the bullet and replace all the coils and plugs at one time.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.