Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

1999 ford taurus 3.0 L no power to camshaft position sensor,

Customer Question

1999 ford taurus 3.0 L no power to camshaft position sensor
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: consistent
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: myself tested wires from sensor to pcm for continuity
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

What is the 8th digit of your vin?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
U
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

If not voltage at camshaft position sensor then you need to check wiring between camshaft position sensor and ECM. If wiring is good then the ECM needs to be replaced. Here is a wiring diagram to help with testing, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quoguucj9ed3vaz/cmp1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52ixrelad9lu2iw/cmp2.pdf?dl=0

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Ever get it figured out? Thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
new ecm did not fix it.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Sorry to hear, that would leave us with wiring problem if you are sure there is no power going to the camshaft position sensor.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have 13.5 mv
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

The cam sensor is a variable reluctance sensor. There won't be any voltage from the PCM, it does not need voltage to operate. When the armature passes through the magnetic field it generates a small A/C voltage which is sensed by the PCM. Is the vehicle generating a P0340 code?

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Your meter is just picking up trace ghost voltage.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have A code reader it acts like it is out of time checked ckp it is good my book says to turn on the key and I should have 10 vts or better.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Does the engine run or sound like its out of time when cranking?

Is this the 12 valve engine or 24 valve engine?

The book says you should have 12 volts at the cam sensor? Not possible.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it backfires and sounds like it is out of time when I try to start.It it is a 12 valve 3.0 V6 Vulcan engine code U
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

I think your next step is a compression test, need to rule out base engine first. What all has been tested or replaced to this point?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I noticed you have viewed my replies without responding or rating. I assume it your intention for me to not be compensated for my time and knowledge. I sincerely ***** ***** answer I provided helped with getting your vehicle repaired correctly and saved you some money.

Kenny