Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

I have a 2002 Expedition. The keys work fine. However the

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Expedition. The keys work fine. However the locks do no activate with the remote. I've tried resetting the system by turning the key to the on/off position 7 times but the locks do not activate.
Do I need to replace the module that is located underneath the brake pedal where the door code is located? By the way the door code works. Only the remotes fail to activate the locks. I've replaced the batteries in the remotes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

To try programming your remotes again you need to not touch the brake. Turn on and off ignition 8 times and on 8 on leave ignition on all within 10 seconds and listen for locks to cycle then press any button on remote and then do same for second remote then turn key off. Locks will cycle again to receive programming. Let me know if this work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This does not work. Tried it several times. Locks don't cycle

you said you did 7 times. You have to do it 8 times and need all doors closed and not touching brakes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did it 8 times as well, doors closed, not touching brakes

You should start programming with the doors in the unlocked position also.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried it with doors unlocked. The door locks don't lock as it should when programmed.

Then you have a problem in the RKE module and may need to have it scanned to see if the maximum number of remotes have been programmed and the NGS tester can clear them for you so you can program then again. It is this or the RKE will store codes if it is having an internal problem. If max number of remotes are programmed then the system will not go into programming mode for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. I've only had two keys the entire time I've owned the vehicle. This problem just happened out of nowhere. I guess I'll have to take it in to the dealer.