Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Automotive Instructor at Palm Beach State College
93113249

Not getting any power to engage my ac compressor clutch,

Customer Question

not getting any power to engage my ac compressor clutch, does the truck need to be running to meter that or does it just have to be on with the ac on
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: has nothing to do with the trans
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2007 ford king ranch 5.5
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 5.4 sorry
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am working on it myself, i had a shop check the system and they said it was good on freon and it something to do with the clutch
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jaybird61 replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is Jay

The engine needs to be running and a/c turned on the check to see if the compressor clutch is getting power on the grey with white stripe wire at compressor.

Have you had the computer scanned to check to see if the computer is getting a/c on demand and output to a/c clutch relay commanded on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had it all checked out at firestone and they didn't mention anything like that, I have it taken apart now and the coil wire has a small cut in it, but is measuring 3.15 ohms. i was wondering if that is hindering the amperage maybe

I cannot vouch for the Firestones mechanics ability or expertise and this may be why they did not mention anything I said. If the wire is cut or rubbed through then it may have been shorting and causing the clutch to not engage. Does it look like it is cut or rubbed the covering until the wire is exposed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Then you should recover wire and then cover harness with a wire protector and then retest system to see if it works.

You may have blown fuse number 11 in the fuse box under left side of dash since it powers the compressor.

"I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help, you can hold off on the rating for now and reply back here -- I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you"