HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a ford van e150 that died on the way home. I charged

Customer Question

I have a ford van e150 that died on the way home. I charged it with my car and it started. Now I have changed some things and it still will not start.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: The battery terminals were corroded and I cleaned them pretty good. Then the car started and I left it running to charge the battery. But then before I could turn it off it failed and would not start.
JA: What year is your E150?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your E150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am working on it myself. I took the battery to oreilly's and it was charged and determined to be fine.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: After watching several videos and testing the battery voltage when the van is off and on, decided it was the regulator in the alternator. I took it apart and changed that but that helped again so it would start but as soon as the battery drained, it would not start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, is there any warning lights on when it runs? It starts and dies when it looses battery charge. Do you have a volt meter to test the charging system output when it is running? Is the battery old or newer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ABS light then revd it up, then ABS then off with wrench on; then of then engine yellow solid; then wrench and engine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
battery is 3 years old. tested with meter; 13.2 before new regulator in alternator; 14.1 after. Now will not start.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
relay under dash and a little to the right click when turned off.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Ok so the battery has more than 12 volts but the starter wont engage or it cranks or wont start?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Battery was at 12.6, the engine started right after the battery was charged, now it will not start even if I disconnect the battery and connect my other car.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I tell if the starter engages
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

When you turn the key to crank over the engine, does the starter crank the engine over or nothing ot a click click like a dead battery? The van ran awhile and then died and would not crank over and restart like the battery was discharged again? The battery warning lamp comes on when the key is turned to on and goes out when it does run?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It clicked for a while, but now it is dead during crank.. But the relay under the dash clicks and the gauges go to zero all to gether and bounce while it clicks. I have not been looking for a battery warning light at all.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Ok, it sounds like its not charging if its running down the battery. Put the battery on a charge or try jump starting the van, se if there is a red battery indicator coming on when you turn the key to on. The pcm may be at fault, the powertrain control module regulates the charging system operation.

OTE: When the battery (or PCM) is disconnected and connected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The charging system set point may also vary. The vehicle may need to be driven to relearn its strategy.

The PCM-controlled charging system provides many additional benefits over the current integral generator regulator system. The first benefit is improved battery life. In an integral generator regulator system, the regulator set point is established by a temperature sensor in the regulator which estimates battery temperature. In a PCM-controlled charging system, the regulator voltage set point is determined by the PCM and communicated to the regulator through the generator regulator control (GENRC) circuit. The PCM uses an algorithm to estimate battery temperature. Improving battery temperature estimates reduces battery damage caused by over- and undercharging.

The second benefit is improved engine performance. Whenever the PCM senses a wide open throttle (WOT) condition, the PCM momentarily lowers the regulator voltage set point. This reduces the torque load of the generator on the engine and improves acceleration. The PCM has a calibratable time limit on this reduced voltage feature. This is to prevent the generator output from being cut back for an extended WOT period, which could cause battery discharge.

The third benefit is improved idle stability. In response to the PCMs GENRC signal, the regulator uses a generator load input (GENLI) signal to provide feedback to the PCM. The GENLI signal provides the PCM with charging system information. Specifically, it lets the PCM know when the charging system receives a transient electrical load which would normally affect idle stability. Because the PCM can anticipate additional loads, actions can be taken to minimize idle sag. The PCM can choose to either reduce the regulator set point or increase engine idle speed, both of which are calibratable features. In order to establish whether the regulator is accurately maintaining the desired voltage set point, the regulator uses a charging system voltage line to sense battery voltage.

The fourth benefit is reduced cranking efforts. The PCM can reduce the mechanical load on the starter by initially commanding a low voltage set point. This may improve start times.

If the PCM detects a charging system error, it broadcasts a low voltage telltale (ON) network communication message which tells the cluster to illuminate the charge indicator. The charge indicator is illuminated if the PCM does not see a signal on the GENLI circuit for a time period greater than 500 milliseconds . This telltale command is also used to indicate over-voltage conditions detected by the PCM-controlled generator.

Each time the ignition switch is cycled to the run position, the instrument cluster initiates a bulb check by illuminating the charge indicator. It is the PCMs responsibility to issue a low voltage telltale (OFF) command if the charging system is functioning correctly. This message should be sent during the network initialization in the voluntary phase (250 milliseconds to 450 milliseconds after the ignition switch is cycled to the run position). If a low voltage telltale (OFF) communications network message is not received, the instrument cluster continues to illuminate the charge indicator indefinitely

If you have access to a scan tool a check for codes should be done to see if there are generator/altenator circuit codes stored.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Once I changed the regulator, everythng seemed good. Then I took it for a drive and the acceleration was slow from a stop. Then almost non-existant. Now it will not start at all even with a jump from my car, even if I disconnect the battery. Could it be my whole alternator how does that usually fail? I thought the regulator might have failed but the alternator did not.
The main constant was that it was loosing power and smooth running after running a while. I thought it was heat related but maybe it was battery discharging.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do not have a scan tool yet.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

DOes the dash light up when you turn the key to on or the dash is dead? You said you had corrosion on the battery terminals was it bad and do you have a good connection now? That battery shows at least 12 volts but wont light up the dash when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It should be good connection now. When it was runing, I had 14.1V. But now no lights on the dash. The terminals are a little loose. Yes to the last question.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Ok I would verify the battey has a full charge and replace the battery terminal connections first. If they are loose or the cable have heavy blue/white corrosion, it can cause a voltage drop and not recharge the battery. Start with the basics first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought this at first too. But I disconnected the battery and connected to another car with jumper cables. Nothng.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

If the vans cables are in bad shape, they wont carry the current.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Make sure all the fuses coming off the battery tot he main underhood fuse panel have not blown in the process. if the battery has power and ground and you have a good connection, the dash should light up.. Its either a bad connection f a blown fuse.