Ford

Have Ford questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1995 Winniebago Suncruiser class A motorhome, Ford 460 V8,

Customer Question
1995 Winniebago Suncruiser class...

1995 Winniebago Suncruiser class A motorhome, Ford 460 V8, starts fine, idles fine, as soon as you touch the trottle engine starts surging and missing, on highway runs ok above 3500 rpm but chugs so bad it shakes the vehicle when pulling below 3500 rpm , goes down hill super smooth, thinking of disconnecting the MAF sensor to see if problem goes away but not sure if this year has a MAF

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?

Engine runs fine after starting but will not accelerate at all just chugs

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Ford?

1995 F53 class A motor home chassis

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Will try to fix myself- been repairing cars for 25 years, have not tore into anything yet, parked in the boonies in northern Adirondack mountains.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The battery light sometimes goes on and off but the indicated voltage stays steady.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Ford
7/29/2017
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 8 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

any codes? is it obd1 or 2.. is it skipping?

trying to get a code reader, don't if obd1 or 2, doesnot skip consistently, just chuggs and surges when trottle opened up
no check engine light

do you hear any vacum leaks? where in the adirondacks..?

got to close down for night on generator elec pwr and generator is being shut down, will check back in am

k

can't hear much with the engine running- went over all the dozen or so vacuum lines see no problems, appears to be odb I (has a six slot ECC TEST connection inside the engine coweling) can not find any MAF - appears to have a MAP on the inside of the engine coweling that has an insulation blanket over it. thinking of the crankshaft postion sensor, TPS, and ignition pickup as possibles. We're camped out in Owl Head (near Malone).
definitly not obd II, as luck would have it (along with it being 50deg and the RV furnace won't work) I have an OBD II reader and the ford 460 engine ECC TEST plug has slot connectors not pin connectors so the OBD II is not compatable.
ECC test connector has two connectors in top row and 1,2and 4 in bottom row - which two do I short to get the flashing light diagnostic codes? Got to go canoeing while daylight and not raining- check back in this afternoon.
run the key on engine on self diagnostic test and only code is 632 which maybe because I did not push the overdrive off button during the test.
run the motorhome on road with a gasline gage hooked up - fuel pressure good, with the coweling off noticed at least two spark plug wires shorting thru their caps , this appears to be the most likely cause for the chugging and jerking.
Replaced #3 and #7 plugs and wires , engine ran much better with popping noise - expect burned exhaust valve #7 since that is where the exhaust manifold appears to be very hot. ran the motor home 270 miles home - had 7 1/2 cylinders for the first 80 miles then the plug wire on #7 fried , ran the rest of the way on 7 cylinders. will proceed with compression check and rebuild. Hope this finds you John and you're not in the hospital with a heart attach or something. cheers.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician